Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
nuts and bolts

Hello forumers,
I have a 1939 M20 frame with a slightly later motor, the bike was fairly complete when I bought it but had been in a shed since 1956. Obviously in need of a full restoration. It was missing a rear axle, primary gear chain and drive chain, half of the chain guard, speedo ( wheel component was there but no cable and dial) and carburettor. Motor turns over but obviously will be rebuilt with gearbox. All cables are there and wireloom but are deteiorated, and headlight innards are missing. A couple of questions:
1. As I am stripping it there are broken, rounded, mismatched and missing nuts, bolts and washers.Is there any information on the correct size, length, thread etc for each section of the bike in an exploded view or in a parts manual. I know when you restore something you are supposed to use as much original as possible, but the mixture on this bike has no standard to it, even galvanised bolts used.
2. What is the correct AMAL carburettor for the motor, I believe that they were 498cc?, and is a secondhand one OK , if so does anyone have one, or should I use a new one ?
Any help appreciated
Regards
Kevin

email (option): myf1@hotmail.com.au

Re: nuts and bolts

G'Day Kevin,
Welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place for plenty of information.
There is a Tech section which has plenty of info.
I belive the carby you require is the Amal 276, that's the one I have on mine, but with yours being a 39 model may be different.
Nuts and bolts are funny things, mostly bicycle thread but others also.
I'm sure others will chip in.
Kevin whereabouts in Australia do you live? There are alot of members there that may be able to help. I have a friend in Perth that owns an WDM 20 if you are anywhere near close.
Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your welcome, I am in Shepparton, in Central Victoria. In Australia that is many 1000's kilometres from Perth. You are correct with the 39 frame but the motor has been changed from original. i have been told that during the war it was common to replace a worn motor rather than repair it to keep the machine running, so I assume that is why it is a slightly later engine. Quite frustrating at the moment as I have come to a halt in proceedings, I decided after removing engine and gearbox that I would not start on them until I had finished the frame, wheels, oil tank, toolbox etc, but I cannot complete this task as so many of the nuts and bolts are obviously wrong. So if any one can help with sizes on guards and their supports it would be great.
Regards
Kevin

I've always found Draganfly to be good. They are in the UK but their shipping prices are very reasonable and fairly quick. They have the parts booik online and that shows almost every nut and bolt you might want. Definitely worth checking out.

https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/bsa/bsa/a710--b3133--c101112--m202133

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Kevin,
Your best to get Henks DVD for the parts books, regarding the correct bolts etc.
There is no exploded diagram as such.

I have a NOS rear axle if you need one.
I’m in Melbourne.
Send me a email if you’re in need of the axle

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

Thanks Cas and Darren,
I bought one from India, but it is good to know that someone is close, are you a dealer or just a restorer ? I would love to see a real one up close, I have never actually seen one except my relic and so to see one restored would be great. And Cas I am googling Draganfly as we speak. Thanks all for your interest
Cheers

Hi Kevin, best of luck with your project.
Modak in Melbourne used to have vast amounts of M20 spares. I haven't dealt with them in a while, I think they're under new ownership about which I can't comment, but worth a go. Trevor might know more.
Also, Bill Green in NSW has stuff, but he's getting out of the business.

As far as I am aware Modak Motorcycles closed their doors last year, certainly no longer at Elizabeth Street.

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

Hi,
I can actually add some information here. Modak Motorcycles has indeed closed the shopfront but is still trading at the moment via online and phone. I know this as I purchased a complete BSA D1 Bantam off him a week ago. Pick up was out the back in a court that led to the shop rear. The Bantam is now in storage and will be the next project after my M20.
Cheers all

Im in QLD Australia Kevin I will send you an email with some M20 and BSA PDF files that will be helpful for you.

Hi
With regards nuts and bolts they are 26TPI cycle thread, Nooky's Nuts in the UK can supply most of the general nuts and bolts that you will need. I live in NZ and usually buy a Kg or two at a time and their postage is very good, last order i put in was 40 packs and postage was 6 pounds.(18 months ago). Cheers Barry

email (option): deadhorsesdontgetbackup@hotmail.co.uk

Hi Kevin,
If i could help in anyway in regard to your M20 let me know, i am from Wangaratta, i restored my M20 in 2000.
I also have a D1 bantam.
My m20 has been at Wang RSL but rode it back home when they shut due to Covid 19
RSL-WDM20

cheers Dave

email (option): jamfam@dragnet.com.au

Kevin Saxton
Thanks Cas and Darren,
I bought one from India, but it is good to know that someone is close, are you a dealer or just a restorer ? I would love to see a real one up close, I have never actually seen one except my relic and so to see one restored would be great. And Cas I am googling Draganfly as we speak. Thanks all for your interest
Cheers
Kevin,
No I’m not a dealer.
I had a WM20, but no longer.
I now have mostly 20’s Beeza’s now.

David at Modak, is still trading out of his premises in Elizabeth St, he will be only renting out the ground floor.
He still takes phone orders or emails.
If you call him be nice, he won’t tolerate fools.

Personally I would buy any hardware from Russell Motors in London.

From experience don’t buy Indian products, most often incorrect and poorly made.
A friend has a Indian rear axle which is totally wrong.

I’m in the VMCC of Victoria, we have many members with WM20

There are quite a few members up In the Wang area.

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

hi Dave, thanks for the contact I will be in touch when we can get out and about.
Cheers Kevin

Thanks Barry for the info, love your e-mail address
Cheers

Kevin,
this forum i found to be very helpful, good bunch of blokes and advice.
I do have gearbox/motor parts also if required.
Cheers Dave.James

Kevin,
like Darren i also am a member of the VMCC of Vic.
I am the coordinator/ planner for the club that has the bike display at Historic Winton at the end of May each year.
Of course cancelled this year to Covet19.

Nieuwe pagina 1