Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spitting back through Carb G3L

Hi all, I would be grateful for the combined experience of this group to my mate’s carburettor problem. We have tried for ages to stop it spitting back through the carb but without any positive results. We have tried all of the obvious things including facing the carb flange to make sure there are no leaks, double checked the timing, points and spark plug gap and have removed the head and checked the valves are seating correctly and there is no leak. The bike ticks over OK but then will suddenly spit back. I would welcome any suggestions. Thanks JT

Re: Spitting back through Carb G3L

Spitting back through the carb is a sign of it running lean. My ES2 used to do it, especially when cold, I richened the mixture and raised the needle a notch.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

John, I am sure you have tried all the usual things re a lean mixture. I had a bad case of spit-back when (as I discovered later) my petrol tank liner started breaking down and blocking fuel supply- not completely, but enough to lean out the supply.

John have you poked this tiny drilling through with a piece of wire? You have to remove the jet block and also poke out the corresponding drilling in the jet block. They tend to get blocked up with verdigris. Ron

M20-295

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Horror and Ron's suggestions should solve the problem. If not is the slide or body worn out allowing too much air in. Is a wrong part fitted to the carby? Has he owned the bike for a while or recently acquired?

email (option): ukcarbsathotmail.com

Please stop using the word it's always been called a carb not a carby only Mr Cole who knows nothing about engines uses this phrase I've been selling geniune Amal carburettor spares made in Birmingham not as they are today made in China and assembled in Wiltshire for over 45 years the word is carb please do not change the name

email (option): Malmotorcycles@gmail.com

Break it down, MrMal! As the word is actually "carburettor" ( or "carburetor" in US), calling it a "carb" or "carby" is neither here nor there, wherever the thing is made. And decent ones ARE made in the Far East and Amal is NOT the last word in quality! IMHO.

I agree with Ferg! Carb or Carby is only an abbreviation and Australians mostly say "Carby" They have lots of other words that are unusual to us. Much like the Yanks with "Headers - Mufflers - Fenders - Hood - Trunk" etc etc.

I also think you might be picking on the wrong guy if you think you are going to teach John Parker much about Amal Carbs/Carbys.

Ron

Amal always spelled it "Carburetter'

Aussies always have carbys and dizzies....

Ok, just my findings over the years, if spitting back a lot, look at het slide cut-off, that will do the trick, usually.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welb**e.net

Did you read before pressing send Lex??? Ron

Probably not close enough Ron, read "the" for "het"

Cheers,

Lex

Shouldn't it then be 'De carburateur' ? Lex....unless it's a small one :relieved:

Rik, it wasn't meant to be Dutch! (although, if it aint Dutch, it aint Much!) but it was a DysLEXic moment....
"Het caburateurtje!!LoL.

Cheers,

Lex

I am sorry that I used Australian slang on this forum I will go and sit in the naughty corner. If one is being picky I suggest they look at how AMAL spell the word on their products. The AMAL Carburetter Company. Note the word Carburetter not Carburettor. When I was learning to be a Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer the foreman would tell me to take the carby off the Tiger Moth, Chipmunk,Cessna or Piper Cherokee and old habits stick many years later from the mid 1960's.

email (option): ukcarbsathotmail.com

If this site is to be used world wide then we need to adapt to different terminology. Otherwise we will have to learn Dutch as the site is run by a Dutch man. He has adapted to the wider world.

Personally I'm not bothered what you call it as long as I know what you mean...I can speak Australian, I've seen all the Crocodile Dundee films and listened extensively to Dame Edna, Barry Humphries and Rodney Rude..(Bring me a Mac. S**t burger').:laughing: ...

I did pick Nathan up on using 'wrench' instead of 'spanner' but only because he says he wants to live in 1930's England..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

"...etter" is Dutch for 'pus'...Yep, best to steer clear of Dutch on this one, even if it is within the 'Lexicon' of quite a number of the forum members.:grinning:

A mate of mine who I suspect was a Stanley Unwin disciple, whether he knew it or not, used to refer to them as 'Carburtweeters'

Nieuwe pagina 1