Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Indian BSA M20 fuel tanks

Hi all,

For my '44 M20 i'm looking for a fuel tank with cutout, the one on it is a post war one.
i'd like to know your opinions on Indian made BSA fuel tanks.
Are they the correct shape? are the welds ok? any known problems?

Thanks,
Niek

email (option): niek.baecke@telenet.be

Re: Indian BSA M20 fuel tanks

I have fitted a few of these to other peoples bikes and in the case of the M20/21 and B31/33 rigid and plunger models the tanks have been pretty good....(some of the tanks I have encountered for other makes aren't worth having IMO)...

The last one was a B31 (rigid) tank...All the threads were correct, though I did run a tap down them all to be absolutely sure. The overall shape was also OK and the tank rubber holes were in the right place...The only very slight issue was that I had to ease the holes in the front mounting bracket slightly to get the stud through (it's a stud not two bolts on B Series bikes)...The holes were slightly misaligned...The rigid 'B' tank also has a normal bayonet fitting for the filler cap and I had to spend no more that a few minutes dressing that with a file to ease the fitting of the cap...Of course that won't apply to a WD tank anyway...

I haven't had one that leaks yet and the material used is at least as heavy as the original...So, on balance I would be happy to recommend one based on my personal experiences...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Niek

If you are interested I have an original tank with cutaway, good condition I took it off my bike when I found the correct tank for my 1940 WM20. pm me and I can send pictures, down side is it's in New Zealand so postage will be expensive.

Cheers Barry

email (option): deadhorsesdontgetbackup@hotmail.co.uk

Ian, thanks for sharing your experience with them. good to know they are a good alternative to originals.

Barry, i've send you a PM.

Regards,
Niek

email (option): niek.baecke@telenet.be

Nieuwe pagina 1