Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gear control shaft pegs

Any ideas how to remove these pegs other than a drift and big hammer?

email (option): roy.speake@yahoo.com

Re: Gear control shaft pegs

They could be pressed out I suppose...But the usual method is as you describe...They do come out fairly easily...

The problem then is that if refitted they have lost the material that allows them to be 'staked' in position and that is what retains them....If you look at the opposite end to the head of the pin you will see what I mean....

If everything is thoroughly degreased they can be Loctited in place with some retaining fit Loctite, though care must be taken not to get any near/under the cam tracks of the selector fork or that too will be locked in position...

If you have new pins you'll need to give some thought to the 'staking' method...That is more difficult and fiddly than knocking the pins out in the first instance....

I'd be interested to hear anyone else views of this job, I'm always open to better ideas...Michiel W ?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian, the only extra thing I did was to set it all up in the vice with the forks wide apart and heated the shaft up for ten minutes with some Map gas. Popped out a treat.

email (option): roy.speake@yahoo.com

I hope you didn't get it too hot...That shaft is hardened....Ian

Not a job I do often so no additional tips from my side here, Ian.....

Your over-estimating me, :relaxed: :relaxed: ......The few technical aspects you picked up from me are overwhelmed by what I learned from your extensive posts over all these years, but I will keep trying to do something in return......:+1: :+1:

Hi Ian.
When re-using these pins I use an old centre punch that has been sharpened too many times and is quite wide at the base, place something hard under the head of the pin, put the punch to the base of the pin and give the punch a good wack with a mash hammer (may be even twice for good measure). There's usually enough material left at the base of the pin to stake it to the shaft.

Thanks Matty...I'll give that a try next time...I must confess I assumed there wouldn't be enough material remaining and went directly to Loctite...A little too hasty perhaps...:laughing: ....Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1