Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WD M20 tool box

I have a question regarding the M20 tool box.
My toolbox only opens about a third of the way before hitting the muffler. Is this normal? I have the correct wide tool box but my muffler is most probably Indian manufacture. Although the muffler does appear correct shape and size. I was looking at a picture posted by Ron Pier in another thread relating to noisey mufflers and the tool box and muffler in that picture seems similar to the postion of mine.
While it isn't a problem getting a tool roll out does seem a bit odd.

Thanks in advance.

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

Re: WD M20 tool box

I think the whole arrangement is a bit compromised in that the WD toolbox is wider than a civvy one and the WD silencer is both a bigger diameter than a civvy one and tipped up slightly....

The toolbox should have a short Bowden cable fitted that fixes to the lid at one end and the body of the box at the other and limits the movement of the lid...However, I can't recall whether that is short enough to prevent contact between the two parts....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian,

Have you any photos of the cable? I have never ever seen one, and would like to see what one looks like, and how it works.
Thanks,
Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

Here's mine, and as said, it sits on the silencer before the cable is in use. Ron
DSCF2839

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Same thing happens with mine.

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Can the kickstarter catch it, as per Norton ? I've bent mine more than once.

It's a good job the M20 rarely needs its tools...:relaxed: ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Looking at your picture Ron the little bracket on the lid is obviously spot welded on. I immediately went and had a look at mine, as I didn't think mine has that bracket and sure enough it doesn't, and no sign of it ever being there. There is also no hole on the flat bar as well. My bike is dated around the period when the records were destroyed so is 1944/45. Maybe towards the end of war this was deleted? It would be easy to fabricate the cable and bracket but as the tool box is painted and fitted on I don't think I will worry about it at this time, I'll keep your photo on file for reference if I change my mind later. I have a spare tool box (wide one) and that is the same and that one doesn't even have the handbook bracket on as well.

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

It would be ironic Kim to spot weld the bracket, make a cable with a bauble at each end, repaint your lid and then it just rests on the silencer anyway.:smiley:

I know other makes (Velo for instance), only fitted the riders handbook pocket on the WD models??

Ron

Thank Ron:grinning:
That's a great photo, and like Kim I don't think mine has ever had one fitted.
It looks quite simple to make.
Dave

email (option): jeepfinger@blueyonder.co.uk

I think that is the first chipped paint I have ever seen on any of Ron's bikes:)

Bruce Cooper
Houston

email (option): btcoop77069@aol.com

The BSA M20 had a short length cable to hold the tool box lid,on the Triumph 3HW they used a short length of chain,but on the Triumph when you open the lid it stops on the pillion foot rest instead of the silencer.

above the BSA cable.
below the Triumph chain.

It's called "Belt and Braces" Steve :slightly_smiling_face: Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1