Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear Wheel Problem

I purchased another rear wheel as the holes on the original fitted wheel were elongated , replaced the following with NOS Rear Hub Spigot , Hub Bearing Sleeve , Bearings , Snail Cam , Hub Spigot Nut, Hub Thrust nut and locking washer. I was also going to replace the Spindle but that was a pattern part so I decided to reuse the original .

Reassembled the wheel as per manual with slight play in the bearings.The problem I have is when all the nuts are tightened the wheel is still movable in the frame :thinking_face: ? All I can see is that the Spindle nut is at the end of the spindle thread so cant travel anymore to tighten the wheel .I've checked over the parts manual diagram to see if I have missed anything but all seems to be in order .
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or advice on a remedy? ,I thought about threading the spindle another 1/4" to allow the nut to travel further ? Hopefully someone might spot something in the photo's .
NB
The spindle isn't all the way home in the photo , sorry I can't seem to upload the photo's only the links

%%bbCodeItem_1%%

%%bbCodeItem_2%%

Thanks Dave

Re: Rear Wheel Problem

Dave was your spindle bolted up tight originally or is it a part not original to your bike? I bought one from Drags some years ago which was far too long overall and I had to cut about an inch off it. I can't remember exactly but I know there were some issues with threads being too tight.

I have an original now, ready to go on my bike sometime which measures 9 3/4" from under the head with a 1 3/8" thread.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The nut was tight with what I thought was an excessive amount of thread sticking out of the back of the nut .I never noticed if the actual wheel was tight in the frame :face_with_rolling_eyes: , unfortunately I've not ridden it yet so not been aware if it was an original problem that I've picked up on .I re-used the original spindle to the bike as the repo I bought from Dragan I struggled to get it started in the hub ?

Interesting Ron , I've measured the thread length on the spindle original to the bike and its only 1 3/16" :thinking_face: , and your NOS one is 1 3/8" .Looks like this could possibly be the problem, the difference in thread length would allow the nut to travel that bit more and grip the frame , is the thread 1/2" Cycle 26TPI ?

It might be wise to look out for an original NOS one rather than lengthen the thread on the one I have .

Dave

I'll check the thread tomorrow if no one beats me to it. But I suspect it might be 20 TPI BSC. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

If I cut the thread by another 3/16" on the original spindle to the bike that should hopefully do the trick, then keep my eyes open for a NOS replacement .

Thanks again Ron

Dave

Nieuwe pagina 1