Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ariel wng fuel tanks question

Hi all

I have a question about Ariel wng fuel tanks. Which is early and late type. They are 2 types of fuel tanks (1-2 holes for tank rubbers, plate "Ariel" with rivets and inscription "Ariel") When each was used?

Regards Tomek

email (option): polus_77@tlen.pl

Re: Ariel wng fuel tanks question

Hello Tomek, That's a bit of a guess, early tanks would have the screwed on tank emblems.
Maybe only in 1939/40 as from very early on war products where put on a diet.

email (option): vincent@vincentvanginneke.com

early tanks had 2 threaded holes for rubber knee pads and 2 small threaded holes for ariel badge....
later tank's had 1 threaded hole for vokes air filter mount..[no rubber available for knee pads] and ariel sticker instead of screw on ariel badges...

email (option): peter.c.jessup@gmail.com

Did the screw on Ariel badges have a 'khaki' background?....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

They did indeed Ian...!

p.s. to my earlier post.
my 1945 w/ng [contract s.6287] left the factory and was delivered to chilwell ordnance depot WITHOUT tyres..
i assume because no available rubber.??
peter

email (option): peter.c.jessup@gmail.com

Possibly a railway version :grinning:

email (option): vincent@vincentvanginneke.com

The tank part number is 5000c-40 (complete tank) and alsojust 5000-40
the suffix would indicate introduction year (in the majority of cases).

I looked a few different parts lists from 1940 to 1945 and it's the same part number throughout so despite changes in tank Ariel didn't issue another number.
HOWEVER, the description for 5000c appears in 1940 as "tank fitted with petrol filler cap, tap and knee grips" with a little picture that looks like it. This 5000c is omitted by 1942, the little picture also changes from showing two holes to one hole and knee grips and plates are also now missing.

So, the removal happened before 1942 but what I cannot tell you is exactly when this occured as you would need all the parts books, from each contract to pinpoint the change.

email (option): madoc500@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1