Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rescuing my Raf WD Norton Part 3

Hi everyone so I thought I'd start part 3 thread wise on my Raf 16H Norton.

Firstly just want to say a truly huge thank you to everyone that's been putting up with my endless questions giving me advice and selling me parts. Wouldn't be this far without all your help!

So what we know so far as a bit of a recap :) RAF Norton WD16H Late 44' Ordered Contract for 560 RAF Sidecar Combinations.

Shes now sporting her original wartime Raf number on her petrol tank thanks to one of the researchers who works with the RAF. Still pinching myself over how lucky I was with that.

He also had 3 one side an 5 other side of mine interestingly for others they were running in order.

Can't wait to get to the museum when this is all over as I've built a list up of pictures I'd like to check out that arn't online that all mention Raf dispatch riders.

Seen a copy of the Ministry of Supply Ledger for the original order contract thanks to one of our members.

Restoring her in remembrance of my Grandpa George Steele RIP who served in the Royal Artillery 8th Army from 1941 - 1944 and RAOC 8th Army again 1944-1946. From what we know he was in Tobruk and El-Alamein on the largest guns as a gunner. Sending of for his record when the covid is over.

As well my dads mentor an friend may he rest in peace was a Dambuster Gunner.

Feels so humbling to be restoring her as I've dreamt about doing a wd bike for years to use an ride all the time.

Sometimes the bikes lead you down the route they want to be restored initially my plan was to do her in army desert trim but I feel really happy that I decided to stay true to the bike an her history.

Thanks again to everyone that's shown me original pictures an some that are very close to my bikes number as well! Been invaluable resources.

We found scc.2 on nearly all the bike in including the frame so stuck with that.

Feels special to be restoring an Raf bike on the 80th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. For everyone who served in all the divisions of the armed forces. Lest we forget.

Anyway enough of me rambling on here's some pictures.
How she was when I got her.

How she is now :)

An a link to the video playlist should have a couple uploading this week.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz4rqyNk3Ie-Uku_F-qJq8T3FB8jUcOL2

Left to get,

Might need a timing / cam chest cover found some damage on the outer cover where the bush is for the exhaust cam in the metal casting.

Norton Throttle, vokes air filter, Bash plate, Rear late carrier, Pannier Racks, Late Pillion seat,pillion foot rests, horn button an correct amp meter.

Thanks again everyone an hope you enjoy the pics :)

email (option): tjsblade@googlemail.com

Re: Rescuing my Raf WD Norton Part 3

Looking good Tom.

Keep up the good work!

Steve

Thanks Steve :) been painting my headlight an blackout today I'll post some pics tomorrow

Episode 25 Doing the Roundels.

https://youtu.be/iujId1la3Vg

Episode 26 showing her fitted with the blackout grabbed my Canon 1D Out to film for a lil one an edited on my phone not ideal but not bad.

https://youtu.be/fO6_qnAV8sQ

That's looking really good Tom, can't wait to hear it start up, that's always the best bit of a restoration :slightly_smiling_face:

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks mate :) she is really starting to come together now.

Does anyone know the sizes for the following bolts an nuts :)

Doherty air/adv clamp screws

Bowden 1" clamp screws

Lever to perch pivot bolt bowden (the ones with the split in the lever.

Thanks in advance

The screws for the Norton Doherty clamps (and indeed the Doherty twistgrip) are 3/16" x 28 tpi !

The earlier pivot screws are 1/4" x 26tpi...which they probably didn't change but I'm not sure about the shoulders on screw and nut.

I had to get some for my advance and choke, the thread is 1BA

Yes, I've just checked some original screws in a Doherty twistgrip, they are raised head and they are 0.203"x28 tpi, so 1BA, 3/16" comes out at 0.185". The lever pivot screws are 1/4x 26 tpi x 3/4 long, measured from below the head, with an unthreaded portion 5/16" long. There is a locknut at the end which is a special, being the size for a 3/16 nut across the flats,ie.approx 0.350", but threaded 1/4 x26 tpi. These screws are available from various stainless fastener suppliers, ask for 1BA lever clamp screws, or they may be available from Nookies Nuts in m/s.

Tom could you post some pics of your clutch/brake levers, I'm looking for these for my 16H and Big4, have got some parts but not sure if they are right, Ron showed some levers on your post, are yours the same?

I have been following your progress with the bike, coming along really well, an inspiration to us all, and I look forward to seeing it.

Best wishes
Tony

If they are 1BA and the parts are Norton Doherty then oversized screws have been used.

I measured mine recently due to a query on another forum. They are 3/16" as confirmed by the Spare Parts Lists.

Scannen0007-2

Scannen0008-2

Thanks lads as usual huge help! Was struggling sussing that all out.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow Tony of what I've got lever wise so far. Mine are the ones with the splits up the levers for the brake an clutch :) shes really coming along now, got a replacment timing/cam cover on the way from a friend as mines got a crack around the exhaust cam bush, gonna order a new chain to, an have a look at the carb tomorrow an sus out what I need for that while I sort these lever bits out an hunt for the right throttle an horn button then the bar assy is finished :) really getting close to firing her up.

Pretty much just gotta get in no particular order
Norton throttle 1"
Late type oil tank with the seam
Vokes
Rear late carrier
Pannier frames an bags
Field stand an skid plate
Late Pillion seat an footrests
Correct amp meter
Right screws an fluted glass for the blackout
An make some propper exhausts brackets in the right style once I'm able to order some metal an learn how to make em :)

Rik
If they are 1BA and the parts are Norton Doherty then oversized screws have been used.

I measured mine recently due to a query on another forum. They are 3/16" as confirmed by the Spare Parts Lists.

It's all come flooding back now Rik, we had this dilemma when I asked this question about 18 months ago. I've been trying to find the thread (pardon the pun . I know you're right as goes the parts book size but I couldn't work out what was happening with the levers I've got. My adv/choke screws all measure at 0.196" and I've got a few levers here. As Tony says 3/16" should be 0.185", and 1BA is about 0.209. These are in between. In the end I sent the lever housing and the screw to a Tap and Die company (Uni-thread I think). There answer was it's worn 1BA screw?

These look to be original screws in these levers, so taken 2 out of different sets, both measure the same 0.196"

This is the throttle screw out of my 16H

The book might say 3/16" but I haven't found one that measures 0.185". Is it possible to buy 3/16" x 28 screws?

Oh dear, this is getting complicated isn't it?
The screws in my twist grip are definitely 1ba, a tap goes down easily using just fingers. I assumed the other levers would use the same screws, silly me, never assume anything. When I try these in my air and mag levers they are too big but I don't have any original screws for these. A 3/16 BSF screw, 32 tpi. I think, only goes in a turn or two and tightens up so not right, so it seems 28x3/16 it is. Maybe they are used in model engineering, I certainly don't have any.

Horror, thanks for posting clear pics of your levers, makes it easier to know what I'm looking for, Ron let me have the air and mag levers but I still need clutch and brake for the 16H and Big 4, do you have any spare, any condition at all as long as they are theright ones?

Tony

I can't answer why they seem to have worked with a nominal .19"...I have some undamaged, unstretched screws...and they are closer to .1875" than they are to .2087" It looks to me as if they are rolled threads and that they became slightly oversized on the peaks.

I'm consistently measuring the shanks at .19" which is 4.826mm..I can't believe that this is a damaged .2087" (5.3mm)

All I can say is that new 1 BA screws don't fit into NOS levers and if anyone wants to use 1 BA screws then they'll need to run a tap through first...which is why I'm running slightly tatty old screws in mine.

I don't believe that 3/16" x 28tpi fillister are commercially available.

I buy BA and other small fasteners from this helpful guy, who says that he will make other specials on request.
https://www.ba-bolts.co.uk/index.html

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I agree Rik, I can't see how these screws can be worn that much from a 1BA. You reminded me I've got a NOS lever, so one last measurement to see if it's nearer 0.185.

Unbelievably it's exactly 0.196" again, the screw is quite tight in the thread but goes in with a screwdriver, not by hand.

I've just ordered a 3/16" x 28 tap for future use.

Sorry Tony, I haven't got any spare clutch/brake levers. If you are using my picture as a reference, my choke lever has an early mount but the later small hex, it should be larger on the early ones. I've been meaning to change it for this NOS one but not got round to it.

They're only going into brass, aren't they ? so even with years of abuse, they shouldn't have been graunched away.

It's a puzzle....As if they knew that they were tapping sloppily and went oversized on the screws too....If I didn't have it in print as well, I'd think that it was something in-between...But they documented it !

What size does the plain shank measure ? That was presumably the initial diameter prior to thread rolling ?

Thanks guys really appreciate all this info I'll pop that bolt place a message Ron :)

The screws in the NOS one measure 0.207" before the thread, the dull plated early ones are about 0.2". Looks like they got fatter with age :-)

dare I mention the dreaded 3 letter word..oil lol

Anyone using anything particular in the engine an gearboxes saw it was 50 weight monograde in the book but wasn't sure about detergent or none detergent. With it not having a spin on filter.

Take it you just use the 50 weight in the gearbox an not the ep stuff?

Cheers,

Tom

Gonna be some progress this weekend:)

Ended up with two covers an some other parts small stuff like screws an oil line parts + fuel line an stuff.

Hoping to get the better of the two covers fitted tomorrow then the mag.

Here's a picture of the current levers I've got for her.

Just gotta find a Norton 1" throttle, horn button, vokes, late type oil tank with the rib, panniers an racks :)

Tom, It' still progressing well, thanks for posting the lever pics

Best wishes Tony.

Thanks Tony sorry it took a while had to help dad with some house stuff for a few days.

Another hugely productive day today using a combination of covers I got her fitted up with the cam chest/timing cover an got the MagDyno installed to!
Got a problem with the carb that I need to weigh up for the next lot of progress .

One socially distancing Norton
Sat in the front garden with the Norton an all the windows done up with Ve Day prints

Watching The BBC program on the laptop.

So many youngsters looking with there parents really great to see.

Thanks again to everyone that's helped me get this far with her.

What a wonderfull Ve75 so far been speaking to so many people who have been walking past socially distancing of course been great seeing the younger generation showing a genuine interest to :)
Tea in the front garden and ww2 music playing!

My 1944 Raf Norton 16H spo
Lest we forget

Hi everyone thought I'd check in sorry I've not been updating much been a crazy few weeks our front porch decided to no longer be a front porch! so I've had to help dad out a bit so lil strapped on funds at the moment.

Been working on a yamaha rd250lc I've had since i was 19 an got all the bits for to keep myself sane.

Soon as these hail storms stop I'm gonna get her out over the next few days an fit the chain an chain guard might have to run the rear rack I've got for now an put a hold on the vokes plan for a while.

The lever screws came for the levers unfortunately they don't fit the nos ones so thinking of buying a 1ba tap and running them through with that.

Carb wise I know I need to replace the slide as that was a big 4 one and broken where the needle clips in.

Need to give the rest of that a clean :)

After that it's make the wiring and get a modern regulator to sit in the mcr1.

Then I should be super close to trying to get her to run really excited!

Hope everyone is keeping safe an well.

Tom, good to see you are still keen and working on the Norton. Re the levers I wouldn't risk running a IBA tap through the thread. cutting a new thread into an existing one is a real bad idea you'll get a weak thread that may strip when you tighten the screws and the levers need need to be completely secure, its a safety issue. Are the IBA screws too big, if so try 2BA, they are only slightly smaller and some levers do use this size. Some times 2BA screw get mistakenly used in 1BA holes and they will go in and even tighten up to some extent, but always fail eventually. 1BA will not go into a 2BA hole though. Some nasty modern repro levers use metric screws so I hope yours aren't these type.

All the best
Tony

Hi Tony thanks for the reply

They are the propper Jobbies lever wise not modern thank god. the air an adv are nos and one of my lever clamps is as well.

The 1BA screws I got on the recommendation of the bolt place alas don't go into the lever clamps for the clutch an brake or my air controls. I'll get it sussed out somehow.

They go in about half a turn then come to a dead stop don't fancy forcing them.

It looks from what others posted that Norton used a weird pitch size just scuppering me from getting the cables on at the moment so open to suggestions everyone :) super excited to see her with all the levers on.

I'll get a new vernier battery an see what the screws measure up at.

I think you'll have to see if the place Ron suggested above will make 3/16" x 28 tpi screws, as these are not available. I bought a tap in this size to see if it's correct and it is. I couldn't work out why the screws are measuring bigger, maybe it's measured from the smaller diameter of the thread and not the outer. That would make sense when drilling a hole, if it was the outer size you wouldn't be able to cut a 3/16" thread in it.

10 - 28 UNS ...(3/16" x 28 tpi)....That's an unusual thread if that's what it is....2BA has an outside diameter of .185" (3/16" = .187")so that's a possibility but it's 31.4 tpi...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The Unified Thread form (of which 10-28 UNS was part) was developed after the second world war by Canada, the U.S.A and Gt. Britain to ensure compatibility and to overcome the problems encountered during the war when thread forms were not standardised...

Funnily enough, here in the next century, threads are still not standardised and probably never will be...In fact there are more threads now than there were then...

So, quite what that means for these lever threads is unclear...It seems they can't be using a post war thread form if they were made during the war...As yet I can't find any other thread which is 28tpi at 3/16" diameter...Ian

Thanks guys great info as always an very much appreciated that's where I got these ones from on the recommendation of speaking to the guy :)

Yep it's crazy isn't it Ian I agree don't think we will ever get standardised I own an early commando as well one of the first 100 that I'm rebuilding an that's even more of a nightmare for different everything bolt wise! :)

Typical Norton hey lads! They always have to do something different.

Success everyone :) got the lever screws sorted thanks to Nick for some advice on them ended up with 2ba x 3/4inch which fit pretty much perfectly just had to trim the length down a bit an go in an out a handful of times by hand.

Next thing to sort is a throttle slide for the carb an to try clean the inside of the carb body up.

Plan now is just to get her running so i can start to use her, then look at all the bits an peices like the racks vokes etc.

%%bbCodeItem_1%%

%%bbCodeItem_2%%

Just thought I'd pop a bit of an update lads or lack of one unfortunately just been waiting on my yamaha rd250c to sell so I can fund some more progress on her. Had none stop building work with concrete dust flying everywhere from both houses next door to us so not been able to get her out.

Hoping to get the carb dealt with next. Then I can look at getting her running :) not a day goes by where I don't nip into the workshop an look at her.

Think my aim is to try get her running by the end of the year latest. Wiring, carb an fit the cables next.
Then Ill have a look for the carriers bash plate an rear racks an eventually my dream of a vokes.
Next door are away in a week or two so should be able to do a few small jobs.

Anyway hope you are all keeping well with this covid stuff an thanks again to all those that have been giving advice.

Cheers,

Tom

It’s amazing that someone is so fussy on the details for correct screw threads, but I’m the other hand just paints badly pitted rust........

email (option): Careyscott953@gmail.com

It’s amazing that someone is so fussy on the details for correct screw threads, but I’m the other hand just paints badly pitted metal........

Good work Tom !:ok_hand:
Keep calm and carry on.

email (option): info@wetblast.nl

Scott Carey
It’s amazing that someone is so fussy on the details for correct screw threads, but I’m the other hand just paints badly pitted metal........
Each to his own Scott. I know other ardent forum members/restorers who prefer to not hide the passing of time and flaws. Although It's not for me!! But I wouldn't want to discourage a young guy from his enthusiasm and first time restoration work. Ron

Not only that, threads are mechanical and function will be affected if they are wrong whereas surface rust pits are purely a cosmetic issue...I'm happy to accept I'm guilty of 'over restoration', I like to achieve a finish that exceeds that provided by the factory and dislike 'patina'...I've had rebuilds criticised for that in the past..Too good, not good enough?...As Ron says it's just a personal thing..

I've followed this particular rebuild with interest but without comment up to this point...I think Tom has done a great job so far and no doubt he will 'finesse' his technique as time goes on if he feels the need to...It could be he likes it that way though..

I don't like to think too much about some of my restoration efforts in the early days!!...Ian:laughing:

Being a young person who probably doesn’t have much skills and knowledge like some of us do on WW2 bikes, I think tom has done an excellent job. Maybe if he ever gets another project he’d prob know a bit more and and do things differently.
good job tom

Barry

Thanks for the comment's guys really appreciate them not been on the forum for a bit as I've been ran off my feet helping my dad,

All the comment's really inspire me to get going on her. When I see the concourse bikes done I can totally appreciate the skill and the ability that it takes to get one done like that, unfortunately I haven't got the skill or the ability to do one like that yet as we all have to, I'm currently going through the pain barriers of learning and making mistakes along the way.

I'm having to paint in the garden, while next door have got angle grinders going creating dust clouds the joys the amount of times I've had to grab half done stuff an try move it.

The main thing was to get her back into WD colours an protected till I'm in the position both funds and location wise and have the skill to really go to town on her. I feel so lucky to own a WD bike let alone my dream Norton WD16H still have to pinch my

Regarding Scott's comment I agonised over what to do regarding patina and pit's decided as my RD250LC and My 1968 Norton Commando that's show condition I fancied something a bit different an fully intend to ride her to all the events once she's done still can't wait to meet everyone when this covid is over.

I agonised over that as my inner perfectionist wanted to do her like the cracking resto's Ron, Rik, Ian, Barry, etc all do.

It was the same with hand painting the numbers and roundels which was an enjoyable learning curve. I'm hoping that me having a go and facing the big learning curves in painting matt paint's darn that was hard! and learning other stuff inspires other people my age to get one have a go and join our wonderful British bike community it's been a huge learning curve but a very enjoyable one without younger people even younger than me in my early 30's getting into them the skillset wont be there in the future to keep these beauties running.

As the others say in the future I may revisit and get her super smooth or on a second wd bike they seem to have a way of breeding ha! Always got that option as my skills develop.

I kept the pits but got rid of any rust was hardly any on her tbh very clean.

regarding the screw threads as Ian says they are mechanical so had to be spot on so I don't destroy the threads on my nos levers that a few other members helped me out with without the help and advise of you all I wouldn't have been able to do it or got this far.

She's having to be done on an absolute shoe string budget as we lost our family print company but I'm doing my best to keep a tiny bit of progress going on her as an when I can an funds allow.

I'm totally Brit bike obsessed an hopefully she will not be my last.

Here's my Commando which I'm re doing the engine on an my 650ss which I've owned for 10 years which I got from the original owner an use as my daily that was my first ever go at painting ever on a bike so the wd one is only my 2nd :) learnt loads re commissioning the 650ss an she's super reliable now.

If anything I suffer from motorcycle acquisition syndrome haha tends to run me out of funds, the British bikes are life long keepers though hope to have them till the day I die an then if I'm lucky enough to have some hopefully they can have the relationship I've been lucky enough to enjoy with my dad I know not everyone has that an I feel lucky to an I can teach my lil ones what I've learnt an give them the bikes.

IMG-20200717-230120-867
IMG-20200712-204049-820
IMG-20200615-211610-960
So thank's again to everyone looking forward making some more progress on her just been eying up a few little bits.

Lil bit of progress :) fitted the mag plate that one of the forum members helped me out with over the moon with how it looks. Gonnna do the positioning properly soon as I can get the bike out again. Had a mini melt down thinking it had accidentally been thrown out while we were tidying up the other day oopps! After a hour of looking through storage boxes remembered I'd put it in my bedside table do I didn't loose it lol.

Hopefully should be back on with making a bit of progress once some leathers an a few spares for my rd's sell.

Been a total nightmare with next doors building work to so still can't get her out to work on. Suns shining though an still here so can't compain.

20200921-170222-01
20200921-165350-01
20200921-165600-01

Been able to finally get her out again an give her a bit of a clean from next doors building work also made it so I can work on her in the workshop cramped I admit but still enough room to do a few things.

Been looking at what to do with the Carb on her an been thinking whether to get one of the new Amal ones for riding about on anyone been using any I've used the monboloc an the Concentric ones which have been good but not a pre monobloc

Thanks in advance.

120529915-10223446901145128-9069790177967753467-o

You won't fit a monoblock carb on a 16H as it bolts on. Amal do a new stub fitting 276 carb for the 16H, I would do that.

sorry mate i meant the old style remakes of the 276 http://amalcarb.co.uk/carbspec/carburettor/spares/id/5372/ outta stock at the mo but was thinking it might make more sense / be more reliable for use than throwing money at the old carb maybe.

my phone screens smashed so bit hard typing at the mo lol

I always buy my Amal parts from Hitchcocks. Much quicker and easier to deal with. Ron

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/Amal-Carburettors/276-Pre-Monobloc/28361

Thanks Ron I'll pop them a message when the time comes :) They were great when I got my blackout light.

I wasn’t discouraging, it was just my opinion. The restoration was being done and I quote ‘on a shoe string budget’, but he has multiple classics, not cheap. Like I said just my opinion. I’d rather take twice as long and restore it right once, than have to do it again. I also suppose it’s a case of if your face fits, because not all ‘youngsters’ are given this encouragement from this forum, I’ve observed this over the years.

Well to end, well done Tom on saving your machine, food to see all pulling together to help. Surprised Horror the Norton expert hasn’t posted more

Scott Carey
I wasn’t discouraging, it was just my opinion. The restoration was being done and I quote ‘on a shoe string budget’, but he has multiple classics, not cheap. Like I said just my opinion. I’d rather take twice as long and restore it right once, than have to do it again. I also suppose it’s a case of if your face fits, because not all ‘youngsters’ are given this encouragement from this forum, I’ve observed this over the years.

Well to end, well done Tom on saving your machine, food to see all pulling together to help. Surprised Horror the Norton expert hasn’t posted more
Good to see

Thanks for your opinion Scott never mind anyone pointing out stuff as I love learning an always open to opinions on how to do things better, one thing I've learnt in life is you never stop learning.

Not that I really wanted to get into it as it's personal but regarding the comment on the other bikes not being cheap as I mentioned in my previous post they were done before we lost our family company even then when I was doing 70+ hour weeks printing I didn't go out partying on holidays etc every penny I earnt just goes into my bikes been quite a traumatic time my dads youngest bro in his 40s got diagnosed with terminal cancer just as we lost the company so in one way at least I've been able to spend some time with him and make sure hes ok as can be we are all very close.

I got the WD bike to honour my Gramps who we lost and to try and heal myself a bit after my life being flipped upside down when we lost the company as I had a huge passion for what we did an really poured my heart and soul into it. Hoping to go and retrain in a totally different industry just seeing what gets affected with this covid stuff while helping my dad sort his stuff out.

Even then on the 650ss I was learning as I do stuff.

The Commando was a gutter as I got my fingers burnt on that by someone via one of the owners club never bought a fully restored bike before was meant to be fully restored but alas as I said in the previous post the engine was full of glass media which meant I had to strip her an didn't get to use her as I wanted back then.

650SS was my first go at painting a bike the gloss stuff is so much easier than this matt painting and I'm still learning tons on that as I'm riding and using her as a daily.

Learnt a load as everyone said sometimes the only way to learn is to get stuck in and have a go an learn by your mistakes an yep I've made a load of mistakes as I've been doing it :)

I've learnt through going through the pain barrier of getting stuck in an figuring out how to do stuff not got anyone showing me just the kind advice of everyone when I bombard them with questions which I always appreciate everyone taking the time out of there days to reply I wouldn't have got this far without the advice.

As with many these are really bad times, out of work at the moment having to look at retraining hence the shoestring budget.

I'm still trying to make any progress where I can as an when funds allow as my main priority at the moment is to get her to the point where I can ride her.

Plan is stuff like field stands rear racks can be done a little later. I'm thinking now that the best bet after speaking to one of my friends into his Norton's is to get her running so I can enjoy riding her an come back to the things like throttle etc at a later date when I'm in a better position.

So next step is to get a carb + a wiring loom an sort the regulator out, need to order some more paint at some point as well as I've ran out oops!

I did take the paint right back to metal on any areas that were rusted an treated them so they wont cause any issues thanks to the advice of everyone.

Keep the opinions an advice an comments coming everyone :) I love learning an hopefully others can learn from my mistakes I make an in the future when the next lot of youngsters come up in the years to come I can pass some of the knowledge onto them like you are kindly all passing onto me really we are all just custodians of amazing pieces of history that we actually get to enjoy as well and remember our relatives and loved ones every time I look at the bike I think of all the memories I had with my gramps she certainly is a very emotional bike for me to own and like the other norton's a bike I'll never part with. Lest we Forget :)

Nieuwe pagina 1