Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Correct wiring/cable clips

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before
What are the correct clips for securing the wires and cables to the frame and forks etc on a 42 wm20?
Many thanks Steve

email (option): Johnsonsteve386@gmail.com

Re: Correct wiring/cable clips

I know these are home made but I thought rubber would be wrong due to the shortages in 1942
Steve

I think that most machines manufactured during 1942 would have retained rubber fittings Steve. Most factories had sufficient stocks to fit to production until the end of the year......

Most of our rubber supplies were sourced from Malaya and similar areas, and it was largely the result of Japanese conquest in these regions during 1942 that put raw material supplies at significant risk from that point on.....

It is often a common misconception that WD motorcycles all have a lack of rubber fittings, canvas handlebar grips, etc.....but these economies largely came in from 1943. It must also be noted that manufacturers and ordnance depots retaining existing stocks of rubber components would continue to fit them until stocks were exhausted.....

I'm not sure about M20's, but certainly Norton and Ariel were using sprung steel clips to secure wiring and cables until at least 1943, usually of "Terry" manufacture....

Hi

I have a quantity of original smaller terrys clips used on the rear mudguard

Pm me if you are interested

These were fitted to many models of Wd bikes

Br
Jo’b

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Thanks guys
So are these the type of rubber ones they fitted, I presume these are from the fifties/sixties? Are these the same as the terrys?
Steve

Here are some photo's of different types of cable clips.

The colour photo of the metal cable clip on the front frame tube is an original clip which was still present on my KM20 when I bought it, I left it in it's original paint.

BSA-1939-cable-clips

BSA-WM20-clips-01

IMG-9783

BSA-WM20-clips-02

BSA-WM20-clips-03

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Bastiaan, your clip looks like the late '38 - mid 1939 matt Bronze Green...presumably an old stock clip ?

My Norton also had lots of these Terry clips...mine were all simply black japanned, but perhaps by December 1939 they were using what they had.

PC080860

I was one rear mudguard clip short but the rest were present.

The main wiring clip on the fork leg was service colour though...and BSA did use them early on.

You are right Rik. I think that on some point my KM20 was painted in bronze green, I noticed this colour on some parts during the dismantling of my KM20 as part of the restoration. See photo's below.

The main wiring clip was actually one of the last parts I found for my KM20, it is indeed exactly the same model as fitted to Norton's.

I think even some alloy cable clips were used on early M20's, I have found a few of them over the years.

IMG-5662

IMG-9793

1941-CMP-motorcyclists

IMG-9789

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

In your lowest picture Bastiaan, in the center, are some of the soft metal straps I found on my WM20. I made more of them by carefully cutting up an aluminum soda/beer can.

email (option): moatjon [ at ] aol.com

Thanks for all this info guys. It seems early bikes have metal clips about 1940 ish, but I am still not sure what a 42 bike should have
Thanks Steve

The aluminium strips or at least some very close looking to those seen here are available still via Triumph parts suppliers

I got mine from a well known triumph trader - whose name I can’t remember but know he is over Hereford way

I do have some original Terrys clips - the small type - if anyone needs some

Br
Job

email (option): jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1