Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
gearbox indexing ?

getting ready to assemble my gearbox and while awaiting parts i decided to vaporblast all the gears, shafts etc etc, then while about to do a dry run assemble it made me think of my triumphs where the shifter indexing is important, what is the assembly order regarding the shifter parts..44 M20
ive been told to take every second week off work with pay (virus spacial awareness) so ill isolate myself with my bikes...perfect hobby isnt it

email (option): taybrig@shaw.ca

Re: gearbox indexing ?

The M20 gearbox works differently to the Triumph box. Get a manual (and an exploded view of the box) if you don't have one to give you the best chance of correct assembly. These aren't the easiest of gearboxes to get right and a full description here would be a lengthy one...

The WD type boxes are assembled with the gears and selectors set in the top (4th.) gear position...Personally I shim each shaft individually within the box (not forgetting the inner cover gasket) before doing the actual full assembly...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

thanks Ian, is there a specific manual i should be looking for

interestingly enough there were 3 shims on the kickstart shaft on the outside directly behind the kickstart lever as if they were put there in case needed later?
the inner cover screws didnt look like they had ever been out

email (option): taybrig@shaw.ca

I think Henk has the factory worksheets on disc...An enquiry here will get a reply...
I can probably sort out an exploded view of the gearbox showing an overall view of the assembly and parts....Mail me off forum for that and other printed info. if you need it....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1