Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shepton mallet

Hi chaps, does anyone know if shepton mallet Auto jumble is still on tomorrow?

Thanks, Barry

email (option): fullerbarry@hotmail.co.uk

Re: Shepton mallet

As far as I know it is, having checked the website, etc......well, it bloody well better be as I'm going !!!!!!

Lex is already there! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

That's why I've given up jumbles. Lex is always in there buying everything before it's open ! My next project is going to have to be a make that all the Dutch hate.

I was going,but have decided not to - there is nothing I really need,it was going to be a social for me.(My wife has virtually no immune system.) What I'm more concerned about is our trip to Guernsey in May,I've already had an email from Condor Ferries, I'm thinking that Guernsey isn't going to want a large influx of visitors during the predicted high spot of this virus...

I had a stall booked for Shepton, but I'm not going either.

Have a great day and show us what we missed.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Thanks guys. I might have to pay a visit

Thanks, Barry

I chose not to do Shepton as well this time...Much as I enjoy the social side of it I don't need anything specific at the moment and I've come to terms with the fact that a change in behaviour is probably advisable for the duration of the 'plague'...

Judging by the news this morning The Stafford Classic Bike Show is probably going to be banned along with many other public events...As I've already paid £240 for my pitch there I'm hoping I can get a refund...:grimacing:

It's going to be an interesting summer and all I can say is good luck to all forum members!!!:mask: ....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Well, all in all another really good Shepton for me.......I did notice slightly less footfall and a few gaps in the usual stall lines but aside from that it was a great day and the weather pretty decent.......

Social side was as good as ever with some of the usual suspects present, including Lex, Chris Orchard, John O'Brien, etc...........

I managed to find around ten original MCR1 Lucas voltage regulators for no more than a fiver each, most in really nice condition and both the clip-on and leg-mounted type.....plus a couple of WD light switches, KLG and Lodge spark plugs, WD chain spares in the tins, NOS WD rear and timing chains (various measurements and types still in packaging), etc..........

Best of all was finding two boxes containing NOS ex-WD Ariel W/NG front brake and clutch cables at a very cheap price and from right under Lex's nose !!!

Well done, Steve...Any MCR1 bases marked either Lead-Acid or Ni-Fe ? If so, could I trouble you for photos together with the rear plate and the date on it ?

After over a 100 drive, I came away with nothing, I couldn’t find anything I needed. Surprisingly there were a lot of people there and there was hand sanitizer in place. After I went down to Ron’s place for a nice cupper tea and a look at his lovely collection of bikes, it was a good day after all

Barry

Rik
Well done, Steve...Any MCR1 bases marked either Lead-Acid or Ni-Fe ? If so, could I trouble you for photos together with the rear plate and the date on it ?
No problem Rik. I haven't looked through them yet. Some are very clean, others covered in shite and some definitely ex-WD........

These early MCR1 regulators are seemingly becoming very difficult to source nowadays, as confirmed by some other knowledgeable individuals although I didn't seem to have any difficulty....

On a personal basis, I rarely ride nowadays and never during darkness and my bikes are therefore wired to wartime specification. Saying that however, I do still like everything to work as it should......I have tried modern electronic units inside the old Lucas casing in the past, but nowadays prefer the old Lucas units as they were made. Keeping them clean and adjusted correctly is key, but at least with a mechanical instrument as opposed to a sealed unit you can tinker around with it !!! After all, years ago there was no alternative to them......

Cheers, Steve. I'm trying to pin down the date that the Lead-Acid stamp first appeared on the bases; It is clear that pre-war WD were marked Ni-Fe but pre-war civvy were not marked at all (although Ni-Fe was an extra-cost option from Lucas, it doesn't seem that many took it). The question that I'm trying to answer is whether production for WD immediately featured a 'Lead-Acid stamp when the change from Ni-Fe was made in September 1939.

I'm interested though in all the serial numbers and dates...Just trying to make sense of it all really.

The going rate on eBay for an MCR1 is probably around £35, although Norton / Triumph clamp on types often go higher. The prices that you've paid were definitely a bargain.

Although good MCR2s are around, the resistor on the MCR1s was a known weak point, even at the time and of course there was a service-exchange system.

My '39 16H came with a '37 dated Ni-Fe regulator on it...presumably just such a service-exchange in 1940. Rather than fiddle with it (and in the absence of any data regarding Ni-Fe charge rates), I gutted an incomplete body which Jan converted to the clamp-on type. We have compulsory daytime headlights here...although I've never heard of a prosecution on a historic motorcycle.

Nieuwe pagina 1