Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lucas Battery Carrier Front Retainers.

Following on to discussion on an earlier thread, it has come to light that the replica front retainers available differ from the later-war examples in more than just the absence of a cross-strap to secure the Lead-Acid PUW7E.

These retainers were a Lucas-manufacrured part, fitted to various manufacturers back plates. It seems likely that Norton and BSA-fitted examples were identical for a given point in time.

The top horizontal section is considerably shorter...This is a modern replica alongside a 6 42 original.

P3101273

The general form is quite good and with a little work, it would make a reasonable substitiute. It may be that it is actually a close copy of a particular example.

P3101276

I have 'offered up' the replica on a replica PUW7E in-situ and although it fits in terms of height, it would require a longer top threaded clamp or a bracket with a longer rear hook in order to close. The example that I have will just reach the trunions but no further.

Based on Ron's confirmation of height, I don't believe that the reported failure to fit wiu-ith a Ni-Fe is related to the battery type.

Unfortunately, I can find no separate part number for the retainer (Even naming the parts is difficult !). Norton did list the complete assembly but used a civilian illustration from the early 1930s so it cannot be relied upon. It does look though as if the battery sits under a longer hook extending from the rear than on the later versions. This may be a simple WD / Civilian difference as the overall length differs on Nortons. It would be useful if anyone with known early-date battery carriers could post photos (Michiel, Kostas ? )

C-6127-010-3

Re: Lucas Battery Carrier Front Retainers.

Yes, short version retainer and longer hook at the rear on my KM20:

20200311-083733-1

And the sharp thread ends sticking out :grimacing:

Nieuwe pagina 1