WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum picture

Beautifull picture, great bike.
Is this an OHC or am I mistaken here..?

Re: Forum picture

Not mistaken at all - I think it is a Mk2 KSS or KTS Velocette introduced around 1936 if memory serves me correctly.

Any chance someone with greater computer skills than myself can attached this photograph to this thread? Thanks.

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

It may not be a wartime picture, but if it is it doesn't seem to have a blackout mask, and that extra plate on the back is interesting, could it be an "L" for learner? and if a vehicle was only used during daylight hours would it have legally needed a blackout mask?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

19 inch front wheel and valenced front mudguard = KTS, the touring cammy Velo.

Does look like Tee Hee Lawrence.
That's not RAF uniform is it?

My Dad had a 1938 KSS when he joined the RAF a year later, he would go home on it when ever he had leave. It was hidden behind the cook house but after a while the sergeant discovered it he had to get rid of it! This down on the Solent where he was building rescue launches at Tommy Sopworth's, apparently the tales about T E Lawrence where still circulating.
Richard

email (option): richard177smith@btinternet.com

When Lawrences billet in Plymouth was demolished my pal got the hardwood floorboards from the site...So his claim to fame is he has Lawrence of Arabia's recycled floor in his house!!...:laughing:...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Tounge and groove?

email (option): richard177smith@btinternet.com

I should have noticed the valanced front mudguard which would identify it as a KTS.

I have a KTS of 1936 (first of the Mk2s) in the back of my garage which I acquired many years ago minus front mudguard I might add + several other parts but yes that does have a 19" front wheel. I believe the KSS has a 21" front wheel but beside that and the different front mudguard I have never really looked into what other variations there were between the two models.

My KTS is what could be described as a long term restoration project. Bits get done as and when.

Here's one on my workbench
P1010827

Nice work.
Look at the frametube going over the cilinderhead. Very funny.

Tony Leedal
Here's one on my workbench
I think that may be a Mk 1 and not a Mk 2. The frame on my Mk2 is substantially different albeit it weighs a ton. Forks are of course Webbs which I believe were common to both Mk1s and Mk2s.

Mick,
Yes this is rather amusing, I should have put the tank on for the photo!
Keith,
You'r right it is a Mk1 so is the one in the photo I think, as you say the Mk2 has a different and heavier frame with a vertical rear downtube

Tony Leedal
Mick,
Yes this is rather amusing, I should have put the tank on for the photo!
Keith,
You'r right it is a Mk1 so is the one in the photo I think, as you say the Mk2 has a different and heavier frame with a vertical rear downtube

I was looking at the alloy cover at the top of the camshaft on the forum photo and that looks like the Mk2 version. Yes the frame of the Mk2 has a near vertical rear downtube and my word the frame is heavy.

Note to self - you ought to make some progress with the Mk2 KTS.

I have just had a closer look at the forum photo and I think I detect the angled rear frame tube of a Mk1 so you are probably right and my view of the cam box cover was misleading.

Nieuwe pagina 1