Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Off Topic - WW2 Ariel 250cc

HI - anyone have any knowledge of WD 250cc Ariels?

I ask because a friend showed me an article from the September 1983 Classic Bike (p43) relating to machines of this nature manufactured in 1943.
The writer - Harold Whittaker - writes about his time in the RAF in Calcutta where the bike was issued to him, providing photographs as well, one of which was published.

Naturally I dived into my Orchard & Madden, but found no reference to these things.

Anyone have any ideas?

I can provide a copy of the article if anyone is interested.

Just curious...............

email (option): kirby.bruce@gmail.com

Re: Off Topic - WW2 Ariel 250cc

Hi Bruce. I'm guessing that it's a 350? Either a mistake or a typo? The RAF had lots of them. Unless it was a pre-war civy 250 Colt or Red Hunter? I'd be interested in the article though.

Regards Ron
normal-photo-zps061dc2da
raf-ariel

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I believe the RAF did have some 250cc ohv Aerials - the army on the other hand according to my Chilwell records had 350cc ohv and 500cc sv and possibly 500ohv models.

Hi Ron - have emailed you.

Cheers,

Bruce

Here is the bike in question. although grainy, I'm sure it's not a W/NG. I've found out that there were two 250 models OG and OH (Colt) produced in 1939/40 and some OG's were designated for military use titled W/OG . Apparently, none are known to exist and although some authorities list them, none are shown in the Ariel despatch records.
IMG-9870-2

So not only the illusive 250 BSA WD C11 to find in India......A 250 W/OG would be nice to find too. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Cheers Ron - the thick plottens........

Nieuwe pagina 1