Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front Wheel Spindle & Speedo Question

Hello All,
I'm moving through the various parts of the bike, on to the wheels at the moment.

I've dismantled the rear hub without any issues but the front appears to be a different proposition.
The wheel bearings appear to come out from one direction (I could be wrong??), the first bearing being held in by a threaded retainer. I've made a tool to remove the retainer but what then? I'm assuming that knocking the spindle out will bring the bearing with it but the tubular spindle doesn't look like it will take much punishment before it becomes damaged.

Secondly, I managed to get my speedometer working again (it was full of crud and dried grease) but I've noticed a couple of small holes drilled in the case just below the bezel thread. The arrow points to the larger of the two holes (about 3/32" diameter), the second hole is next to it and is so small it's barely visible. Are these supposed to be there?

speedo

As always, any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Gino.

email (option): gino_kerekes@yahooooo.co.uk

Re: Front Wheel Spindle & Speedo Question

Regarding the speedometer case having a hole drilled in it - you may notice that the bezel also has a semi-circular cut away to the underside of the bezel. The cut away located directly over the hole drilled in the case. This was to accept a headed pin which in effect locked the bezel in position and prevented the bezel from being removed. This was to make more difficult the act of winding the mileage clock back. Heaven forbid that people even thought about such things in those days!

Thanks Keith,

That makes sense.I think my bezel must have been replaced at some point as it doesn't have the cut out.

Thanks again,
G

Gino you need to indicate which make of bike you are referring too! Sounds like Matchless to me?? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

PS this is the security seal that Keith mentioned. It seems a bit odd to me as a rider could simply disconnect the cable to keep any illicit mileage hidden. Ron

DSCF1149

Sorry,
It’s a 1947 M20 but I’m slowly finding it has been changed here and there over the years!
Thanks,
G
Ps, it almost looks like a lead tamper proof seal?!

email (option): gino_kerekes@yahoooo.co.uk

Regarding the WD speedo anti tamper seal. I always understood it was to stop illicit winding forward of the mileage in order to get extra petrol.

Gino unless you are keeping quiet about a tele fork model or it's been radically altered??? There is no hollow axle on an M20 front wheel. The standard bearings are 'Timkin' taper and the cones with the rollers will just come out with ease. The out race (cups) can be drifted out after. Ron
scan-160117-0001

Sorrreeeee Ron,

it does indeed have tele forks, my apologies,

G

['Regarding the WD speedo anti tamper seal. I always understood it was to stop illicit winding forward of the mileage in order to get extra petrol...']

That's also what I read somewhere ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Greetings Ron,

In 1969, When I purchased my WM, both ends of the speedo drive cable were secured with wee square-link brass chains soldered to the cable ends; no doubt to discourage some squaddie from running up unauthorized mileage while making side trips to visit his girlfriend.

Over the decades, replacement of the speedometer, various repairs, and maintenance required breaking the “seals” and I wasn’t clever enough to keep the little chains. I don’t recall exactly where the ends of the chains were affixed to prevent tampering with the cable... I think the drive end hex had its chain soldered directly to the cable ferrule, and the instrument-end cable barrel chain was soldered to one of the speedometer mounting studs.

E6266185-401-D-4-CFE-B6-D8-CB6-BC2-DA6-B50
3-EF1-C1-D2-DA1-C-49-F3-A2-B8-A4-FDD06-D8-CA4

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

I have a similar cable John. Both nuts have been carefully drilled through. I assume to add a wire with a lead seal? Ron

DSCF1151
DSCF1152

Ron, Interesting... so obviously different shops used various methods to secure the mileage accuracy of the machines

I’m guessing that these sorts of modifications would have to be for “fixed base” machines, or applied post-war as I can’t imagine it was much of a worry for bikes in actual front line duty!

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

The 1939 Khaki Green No.3 speedo that Jan had from a French antique stall, with Jaeger cable still attached had no security seal on the cable, nor did it have a rivet on the dull chrome bezel. Neither were an early-war thing.

Nieuwe pagina 1