Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The golden Fleese!!!!!!!!

Ok now for the impossible, can anyone help point me in the right direction for a pair yes a pair of extra long triumph 3hw canvas grips?????
I Know I know, but had to ask? Even repro????

Re: The golden Fleese!!!!!!!!

They used the same or similar grips on the Ariel W/NG. I managed to find some NOS years ago. (I've never understood the reason for them?)

There's a bloke on ebay who regularly sells probably the best repro grips. If you contact him with the sizes, I can't see any reason he wouldn't make them. Ron
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WD-ARMY-CANVAS-HANDLEBAR-GRIPS-7-8-INCH-BARS-BSA-matchless/184149134971?hash=item2ae024ce7b:g:gRQAAOxyyghQ8yW5

DSCF1794

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

As far as I know I dont think that the Triumph 3HW canvas grips are the same as the longer type fitted to the Ariel WNG, the 3HW used 1 inch bars up to late 1944 then changed to the BSA type 7/8 inch bars,I think Ariel used 7/8 bars throughout but also changed to the BSA type in 1944,the triumph 1 inch throttle is also different in design to the others.

Yes Steve, my 3HW is 44 with 7/8" bars. I'm forgetting that the previous models had 1" bars. Do you mean Triumphs own strange 15/16" throttle? I think the WD SV's used a standard 1" Amal longer twist grip. Ron

So does that mean that my 1944 triumph 3hw with 7/8th bars would have used the normal length canvas grips and not the long ones? ????

In the Triumph 3HW parts books the handle bar is described as 1 inch dia bend, then in the late parts books it is described as 7/8 inch dia bend and all the part numbers for the grips, levers, controls etc are BSA part numbers in the late parts books.

Steve is correct. There was an attempt at standardization using the 7/8" economy Amal controls. Royal Enfield were already using them and then BSA, Triumph, Ariel. Ron

Thanks Steve so that read as the normal length grips then,
Thanks matey that helps a lot as I have a throttle with origanal canvas so just need a left side origanal canvas grip now!

Finding an original left hand 7/8 canvas grip would be quite hard I've only found two in the last twenty odd years, both at auto jumbles, there was a NOS Ariel dummy grip on ebay still in its original box last year I saved some photos of it.

years ago they did turn up at jumbles, I also only ever found two left hand 7/8th grips in 37 years of searching.

Here are a few I had in the past, the last one I think is the odd sized Triumph throttle. I presume that the cadmium or painted steel ferrules are later war than the brass ones?

I have no spares anymore.

BC-BSA-Cycles-grip-left-5-25-inch

BC-BSA-Cycles-grip-right-4-5-inch

grips-1-125inch-length-4-5-and-4

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Rob. I'm fairly sure that your last twist-grip is the one for a Matchless G3L were Bowden controls where fitted. I let one go as I didn't recognize it at the time. My G3L has Bowden levers but an Amal throttle now...Bugger! Ron
IMG-0025

The good old days.

Canvas-handlebar-grips-01
Canvas-handlebar-grips-02
Canvas-handlebar-grips-03

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

The last throttle on Robs picture looks like the Triumph design for the 1 inch throttle.

Here are some more pictures, it was certainly between 7/8" and 1" in size?

Rob

gripa1

gripa2

gripa3

tg2

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

That's strange as I thought Triumph used Amal controls and Matchless show it as Bowden, and Triumph WD 1" bars seem to have the long grips? It's worth researching and debating to my mind. Ron

Edit:- Pre war Triumphs at least had their own 1" bars swaged down to take their own 15/16" throttle, but I've been given to understand that the WO directed them to use standard 1" bars and Amal twist-grips??

Nieuwe pagina 1