Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lucas M01 Magneto / Magdyno - how to take apart, question

I am currently taking apart a 1939 Lucas M01 Magdyno or Magneto. Pretty straight-forward, except - how do you remove the nut that holds the fiber gear (bottom end)? The nut, counter-clockwise to remove, does not come off and there is nothing to hold the armature - meaning if you try to remove the nut, the armature spins. I would like to inspect and clean the armature, but to remove it from the aluminum housing, I have to remove the fiber gear. Any suggestions?

email (option): questmasters(at)hotmail(dot)com

Re: Lucas M01 Magneto / Magdyno - how to take apart, question

It's explained in the maintenance manual. Make up a wire staple with an old spoke or something to lock the armature. I use my cordless rattle gun which will often shock the nut undone even without the locking staple. Make sure you remove the pickup and earth brush before attempting to take out the armature:thinking_face:

Personally I never use an unknown mag without getting it professionally rewound and overhauled. It can save you lots of grief and kicking. Ron
Scan-20200127

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ahhhh. I see. Very clever. Thank you!

email (option): questmasters(at)hotmail(dot)com

I have a pair of aluminum “soft jaw” pads for my vice. On a number of occasions I’ve held the end of threaded armature shaft firmly in the vice jaws and unscrewed the nut with an open end wrench, and with no resulting damage to the threads on the shaft.

Also as mentioned previously, if you have an air wrench, a quick hit will normally spin the nut right off in an instant.

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Nieuwe pagina 1