Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
4th Gear

4th Gear update

As I mentioned previously the selection of 4th gear on this particular M20 had always been slightly hit or miss.

It would always eventually go into 4th after a short while at the right revs etc , it seemed to prefer being run for a short while and warmed up?

It may have been that when the gearbox was initially set up many moons ago, that is was adjusted to go into 4th at its very limit.

the symptoms I had, was that either whilst running or testing it not running on rear stand, plug out, 4th gear would not select at all, the 4th gear could be heard just trying to select and not just getting there.

Took outer cover off, played around with adjustable selector arm, found that shortening it 1 turn, 4th and all other gears selected.

Short run out and at this time all appears good!!!!

GEARBOX 1

Re: 4th Gear

I'm glad you got that sorted John. I only manage to get 4th by using the army technique i.e. keep pressure on the gear lever as you let the clutch out. Quite often this is needed for 3rd also. It's become such a habit now I can't be bothered trying to get the cover off the gear box to try improving it. I suppose I should practice though for the time the selector springs go a long way from home.

Have you replaced the rear mounted cover screws with studs?

Re: 4th Gear

Dean
I'm glad you got that sorted John. I only manage to get 4th by using the army technique i.e. keep pressure on the gear lever as you let the clutch out. Quite often this is needed for 3rd also. It's become such a habit now I can't be bothered trying to get the cover off the gear box to try improving it. I suppose I should practice though for the time the selector springs go a long way from home.

Have you replaced the rear mounted cover screws with studs?
Hi Dean
This gear box has the bolts in the rear, they will come out with patience and resolve, one of the bolts may not come all way out due to the oil pipe,
Take all bolts and screws out ease front cover off, it will give you space to unscrew that particular awkward bolt further out to get the cover off.
Give it a go, it may be the springs need changing and the selector arm adjusting either way, plenty info on the site and in book.
👍
JohnB

Nieuwe pagina 1