Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
4th GEAR

Hi

Having over the last few months had one of the M20's apart in big lumps to do a bit painting etc, all tinware off racks, oil tank, tool box, put it all back together, took it for a couple of short shakedown runs, and I did manage to get it into 4th when warmed and never thought anymore about it as this was par for the course.

This weekend taking it for a run out It has now decided not to select 4th gear.

This particular bike has always had its own mind as too when it would to go into 4th, it seemed to prefer to first go into 4th after a short while running and warmed up?, and like all of them at the right revs etc.

The only thing I have done to the gearbox before putting it back was to change the Outer Case gasket (Draganfly) flushed it out, put new oil in.

The primary and rear chains are not too tight

Moved the gear change lever up a notch on the spline no good.

Bike on rear stand ticking over, will go into 1st 2nd 3rd but you can hear it chattering trying to go into 4th, selects neutral ok

Engine off, plug out, rotate rear wheel by hand select 1st 2nd 3rd ok will not go into 4th can hear it chattering but not just meshing!

Before I take the gearbox off is there anything can be done in situ (don't mention those rear gearbox nuts!!)

any practical advice glady received
JOHN B
Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 08.56.26

Re: 4th GEAR

There is a small rod, right behind the front gear box cover.
You could try to make it longer, half a twist. No more.

Rudely and completely ignoring your original question because it's above my pay grade- I was admiring your photo and noticed the side stand you have fitted. What is it, where did you get it and are you happy with it?

email (option): moatjon [ at ] aol.com

Mike
There is a small rod, right behind the front gear box cover.
You could try to make it longer, half a twist. No more.
Will give that a try when I get the outer cover of and check things out
Jb

D Bakker
Rudely and completely ignoring your original question because it's above my pay grade- I was admiring your photo and noticed the side stand you have fitted. What is it, where did you get it and are you happy with it?
The side stand is off an Enfield Bullet, it was cut and fettled to make it fit, it works for me as I don’t have to haul the bike into the rear stand
When loaded up with camping gear.
I’m sure there is someone on the forum in the process of manufacturing side stands for M20’s
JB

Nieuwe pagina 1