Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dispatch Riders Coat Information please

Hi Guys,

I purchased a 1944 DR Coat and it arrived today.
Tried it on to find that the Belt has no buckle eyelets at all.
The seller explained that coat is NOS and it the wearers job to puncture the holes where he wanted them to fit his waist !!!!
This is how they were manufactured.
Is this true or is the seller misleading me ?!?! Putting politely!
Every Coat I've seen has eyelets, all eqi-distant and proper eyelets fitted.
I've never heard of this nor seen it.
Your help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Paul

email (option): eastwood007@ntlworld.com

Re: Dispatch Riders Coat Information please

He's talking bollocks! The belt should come with eyelets! You can get eyelet kits, but I don't know if they come this small? Ron
DSCF2293

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron,

Thank you.
I agree with you how you describe him!

He's adamant he's correct and is fighting me with it.
Ebay purchase sadly from a guy who recons he knows his stuff.

Purchasing small eyelets seems easy but the colour will not match.
The coat is really nice and unworn (NOS)........ I wonder why!!!!
I'll challenge him again.

Thank you for your help.

I wonder if anyone else has come across this situation.

Happy New Year to you.

Many thanks,
Paul

I've never heard such total rubbish!...

I bought an unissued DR coat years back and it came complete with belt eyelets...The average DR didn't have an eyelet kit in his toolbox and logically the series of holes in the standard issue belt provides for size variation (obviously).
That's rather the point of belt eyelets and negates the sellers stupid reasoning anyway!!...If it was as he suggests all the belts out there would only have one or two self applied holes/eyelets in varying positions and that is patently not the case....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi guys,

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.
I trust what you say and agree with you.

I've just messaged the seller on ebay and asked him to supply information to back-up his statement.

Will be interesting to hear what he has to say.

I'm a bit miffed now having to chase this up.

Thank you again.
Best regards,
Paul

Is it the one made by Albert Gill Ltd on ebay sold/completed items, if you google Albert Gill Ltd despatch rider coat, it shows one with eyelets on the belt, you could send him the photo through ebay, if the belt buckle has a metal pin there should be eyelets (can't see on the ebay photos), they do make belts without eyelets but you would have to have twin buckles set up.

Hi Steve,

It is.
Now I know why it never probably sold previously.
Actually a very nice coat in very nice condition but sadly needs putting up to usable spec!

Thank you for the info.
Have sent him the links etc

No reply to my last two message yet.....ummmm!

Thank you all again for your time to read and supplying the information, very much appreciated.
A learning curve!

Regards,
Paul

NOS = New Old Stock
New stock of reject coats that got tossed aside to be repaired some day are still NOS .
Just not fit for purpose.
Leave him negative feedback
"Vendor selling defective garments, lied to me , avoid at all costs.

I can never understand why every body seems scarred to leave bad feedback.
I do it all the time , particularly when a vendor gives me a good feedback the second the money arrives then emails me with a
I left you good feedback do the same for me "
They always get the same answer
If you insist on feedback I will leave it when the goods arrive & have been assessed .
If it is not up to scratch then the feedback will be bad.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Paul,

As other have said, they were supplied with eyelets fitted......

To solve the problem, I have a quantity of original WD eyelets in all measurements.....they come in brass or nickel finish with or without coloured tops........and be aware that not all garments had matching colour eyelets either. Parts of coats were made on different lines in the factory prior to assembly by a machinist so stocks were used up as available......

If you email me on sjmwdbikemad@aol.co.uk we can discuss further. I have a coat here to check the eyelet type required........

I'd like a pound for every time I've had to rework something that has been sent to me just to make it is fit for purpose...Tight threads, incorrect dimensions etc. etc....

I've just spent a day fixing a one piece alloy clutch sliding plate (with oil seal fitted) that I paid £45 for to go on my Goldie project...The bore behind the seal was too small, having insufficient clearance on the gearbox main shaft, the two retaining bolts must have been manufactured in the comedy department and had to be scrapped and completely remade and as there was no way of getting the seal out of the blind hole it was fitted into I had to scrap it to get it out...

Anyway, after I'd manufactured two shouldered bolts, replaced the nuts and fibre washers, bought a replacement seal and drilled a couple of holes in the housing so that it can be removed at a later date if required and bored out the hole in the back to the correct size it's good to go...A sad reflection on the dealer I bought it from and unfortunately, the attitude that is prevalent these days in our hobby...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Received message:

Well I’ve had this coat for twenty years and even though I’ve been into millitary vehicles and milliteria for thirty years I’ve never seen another new old stock dispatch riders coat and bearing that in mind I doubt that the army worried about whether a dispatch rider had to add holes to a belt.
Also the belt is not separate it is a sewn in original part of the coat and cannot be anything else but original.
But it’s doubtful that as it’s over 70 years old complaining to the manufacturer on behalf of the army wouldn’t really be an option
Again sorry you were disappointed that you thought that it was an issued and used coat (adjusted to fit the owner)
I’m v disappointed to see your dissatisfaction with the coat especially as it is a very rare item and I was quite sad to sell it.
Kind regards

And there you have it....
Paul

It really sounds as if this is a 'second' and that is perhaps why it was never issued...If you don't send it back then you have to decide whether to keep it as it is, sell it on as a rarity or finish the factory's job...

If you're not confident about doing the work, maybe talk to someone like Frank Brown who makes the canvas bags etc. I'm sure that he has the equipment for setting eyes and probably an original coat to work from.

Hi Guys,

I fitted some eyelets and it's now sold.
Thank you all for your help.

Best regards,
Paul

Nieuwe pagina 1