Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
primary belt tensioner

Hi all,
I have a 1939 WM20 and I got it at about 99% complete (I think), I notice on e-bay for sale a primary belt tensioner for a 1940 WM20. Mine did not appear to have one and I have read elsewhere that to tension the chain on an early one you just move the gearbox. Is this correct ?
Kevin

email (option): myf1@hotmail.com.au

Re: primary belt tensioner

Any chance of a link to that ebay listing?
There's no primary belt on a WM20 (without modification). Yes the chain is adjusted by moving the gearbox, which then usually entails re-adjusting the rear chain.......It's all in the maintenance manual. :relaxed: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron,

I think that Kevin is referring to this on AU ebay.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bsa-M20-M21-Rigid-plunger-Primary-Chain-Drive-Tensioner/293398161867?hash=item444fe4a9cb%3Ag%3AHQsAAOSwd1deCA8G&LH_ItemCondition=3000

Kevin, Theses are the standard gearbox mounting bolts and adjuster, I suppose you could call them a tensioner for the primary chain but there is no belt.

Ah Thanks Matty. That is indeed the gearbox fixing bolt kit with the adjuster. The adjuster itself is located at the rear of the gearbox on the RH side, below the oil tank. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I bought my first BSA for about the same money as that gearbox fixing bolt kit with the adjuster. But that's a few years ago.:scream:

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Not wishing to start a top trumps competition that adjuster costs 8 times more than I paid for my first M21. A bloke at work told me to help myself to any bits I wanted off his old army M20 which he'd parked up years before in the old factory. I just took the forks and chromed them to make the M21 look more groovy. The rest went out with the scrap man:blush:

Dean
Not wishing to start a top trumps competition that adjuster costs 8 times more than I paid for my first M21. A bloke at work told me to help myself to any bits I wanted off his old army M20 which he'd parked up years before in the old factory. I just took the forks and chromed them to make the M21 look more groovy. The rest went out with the scrap man:blush:
You didn't charge him to take them away ? Saw you coming, didn't he ? :grinning:

Thanks all for your help, sorry I did mean chain not belt, and as I have not got to the gearbox yet I have learnt something already. Greatly appreciate the knowledge in this forum. regards
Kevin

email (option): myf1@hotmail.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1