Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
UK Only - DVLA querie

Hi All. Happy new year..
I recently got hold of a project bike with an old V5 document. All sorted with the DVLA, but when registered (in 1983) it was given a date of manufacture of 1950. I wrote to them to see if I could get it changed to the correct date of 1943 and they came back with this response.
What do you think they will accept for the 'Ex-Military vehicles' requirement?
Currently (when I get it re-built), they state it will require an MOT as it was registered in 1983, even though it currently states it was produced in 1950 !!(which is probably when it was sold off).
What do you think !!
Cheers
Rich.

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Re: UK Only - DVLA querie

You can get the documentation you need from the VMCC library records...You'll need to contact them...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

The date of first registration is insignificant. I have motorcycles in my collection that are recorded as first registered in the 80's 90's and naughties which are all registered as historic against their declared date of manufacture. So your 1950 date although wrong is fine.

But if you want to get your declared date of manufacture altered. You will have to acquire a dating letter from the Owners Club, or the VMCC or the MVT. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Trouble is they did not give it an age related plate so it has an '83 plate so the system says it needs an MOT !

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

It's a simple process and free to get it changed to age related. DVLA are duty bound to change it if you ask them, as they 'WOULD NOT' allow you to put a registration number on a vehicle that is newer than the vehicle.

Back in the 60's 70's if you sold the reg from your vehicle as a 'Cherished number' it was automatically given a (1963) 'A' registration number, or if a vehicle was imported, it was registered against the year of import. There are still lots of these around.

In recent times, two bikes that I acquired for my collection came with 'A' plates, which where simply change by DVLA to non transferable age related numbers.

In any case it's the declared year of manufacture that determines its 'Historic' tax status......Not the reg number.

Check it on line or phone them up! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1