Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA M2O with petrol tank div sign.

Re: BSA M2O with petrol tank div sign.

The sign is for the 3rd Infantry Division and WM20 is from a contract in 1940. Going by the appearance of the bike, I would say the photo was taken in 1940.
regards, Richard

That BSA has frame number WM20.20458 and it left the factory 5-6-1940 and it went to the War Office.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Would I be correct in thinking it had rubber mounted handlebars?

Yes Keith and rubber mounted bars were also fitted to subsequent contracts in 1940.....Perhaps Henk will know when it was changed to solid bars? Ron

C4124344-1941-MP-on-BSA-2

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nice picture!, you can clearly spot here that bend in the exhaust pipe of the early models are much more to the front than the later models, it almost hits the front mudguard.

Ron's handlebar picture also gives a good view of BSA's levers. I've been told there's a second ferrule piece that fits into the levers, with the cable ends fitted to them. But not on this one...

Not sure what you mean by a second ferrule Bob? Here's some close ups of mine, which is the only way I've seen them. The front brake has a parking brake button.....for side car use! Ron

M20-078

M20-077

Michiel W
Nice picture!, you can clearly spot here that bend in the exhaust pipe of the early models are much more to the front than the later models, it almost hits the front mudguard.

Like this Michiel! I never noticed it before! Ron

C4347367

What a great bike, this early m20.
This one seems to have a front brake cable instead of a rod (?)

Ron,

Your cable clamps are the pre war type, which don't have a bolt head for the bolt going through the sleeve in the lever. Later BSA used the small clamp bolt with a hexagon for that bolt.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3_at_planet_dot_nl

I agree, great looking bike still with the big tank and 8" headlight but lost it's valance rear guard but still with the early rack. What year would this be late 1939 early 1940?
I had never noticed the latter bend on the exhaust pipe either.

Tim W

That BSA with tank number C4347367 has frame number WM20.30775 and it left the factory 9-1-1941.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Leon KM20.1478
Ron,

Your cable clamps are the pre war type, which don't have a bolt head for the bolt going through the sleeve in the lever. Later BSA used the small clamp bolt with a hexagon for that bolt.

Regards,
Leon
Thanks Leon. Other than home made modifications I don't recall seeing the type with a hex on the pinch bolt. But it does make sense...... But I now think I can see it in the B&W handlebar picture?

Ron

Yes Ron, the KM and early WM pipes seem to be about 20 mm more to the front than the later ones.

Quite a difference but you only see it when you know :relaxed:

IMG-8465

IMG-8466

Henk Joore
That BSA with tank number C4347367 has frame number WM20.30775 and it left the factory 9-1-1941.

Henk
Thanks Henk,
If this is early 41 when would you say they stopped fitting the large 8" headlights. Did Norton's switch at the samw time, if so do you think it was because Lucas stopped making the 8" headlight.

Tim W

Photographs of Nortons suggest that the change came at contract C11082 which was the subject of quite a number of variations...This puts the switch around March / April 1942 in terms of actual deliveries. C10217 which ran into early 1942 still had the larger lamp.

1942-C4586954-C10217

Thanks for those pictures Michiel. I guess the front pipe is nothing you could buy off the shelve? I have a good tube firm near me who could make them near exact, but they would need a bike on their bench and a good picture to work from. They've made a few pipes like that for me. Also Horror's Manx Norton and his WD model 18:relaxed:

The hex on the cable pinch bolt is a better idea, as the only way to hold the pin on the earlier version is by holding the cable. I wouldn't mind the hex version pins myself! Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1