Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RE: camshaft trouble

Can anyone please tell me if AMC in later years decided that the key securing the position of the cam on its spindle was no longer needed. The inlet cam on WD models has a key to maintain the position of the cam relative to the spindle so the mag sprocket stays in time with it. I have just bought a newly made spindle,which I think came from Andrews engineering.I want to use this to replace the one I have which is worn on the ends,but the cam and teeth are still in very good shape.The new spindle has no keyway,this can only be for two reasons that I can see. Firstly it was not finished properly,or secondly it was decided postwar that it wasn't necessary. I have lots of WD cams and just postwar ones,but nothing later. I can grind a groove to fit a woodruff key if necessary, but I won't bother if AMC didn't.

I didn’t think the inlet cam had a key for the mag sprocket on the WD G3L, the only sprocket that had a key is on the Dynamo. Timing sprockets tsp in place on the taper shaft

Barry

email (option): fullerbarry@hotmail.co.uk

Barry Fuller
I didn’t think the inlet cam had a key for the mag sprocket on the WD G3L, the only sprocket that had a key is on the Dynamo. Timing sprockets tsp in place on the taper shaft

Barry
Sorry that tap in place

Surely they wouldn't expect the cam to stay in place by interference fit only Jon? It must need a key! I think I would ask that firm to explain. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I think I miss read the question. I’m sure later matchless cams seem to be one piece but I would of thought they were lathed from one piece of steel. Maybe ask Andrews the question why you got a shaft with no key but wasn’t they closing down?

The spindle came from Steve Surbey who bought some closing down stock from Andrews.I don't like to bother Steve too much because they are so busy and we end up chatting for too long.I thought it better to ask on here ! Ron, I'm thinking that because it is only to drive the mag that the interference fit is considered to be enough. My press is a 20 ton unit,I used a fair old bit of pressure to push out a worn spindle on an old cam just to see how tight they were.
Anyway, a Merry Christmas to all on here,what a great forum ! I bet many others on here have done just what I've done today,spent a day in the workshop.Amazing how much you can get done when the phone is quiet and customers don't call in... Finished putting my brothers G3l together enough to test run the engine,fired up easily and seems fine.

I could have spent a few hours in my workshop today tending to a few outstanding jobs, none a priority......but then I'm fortunate enough to be able to do that most days such is the pleasure of retirement.....

With no kids at home anymore, I chose to spend today in the company of my fantastic wife Vee. Again, I can do that most days, but it was really nice to have time together today laughing and sharing things together.....

I wish to pass on Xmas greetings and best wishes for the New year to all friends and Forum members....Steve

I couldn't help doing an hour or so in 'workshop therapy' mode even though I force myself to have most of Christmas day off for a walk on Dartmoor with my better half and the dog, Christmas dinner, presents etc.etc....

On Christmas eve I finished manufacturing a one off number plate and rear light mounting for my Gold Star café racer project so I just spent some time today tidying up, cleaning the machinery down and putting everything where it belongs so that the decks are clear ready to carry on with the next job!...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Just to draw this thread to a close, I had a chat with Steve Surbey this morning. He confirmed my suspicion that the key and slot were later deleted as AMC decided they were not needed. As I said before the cam is a very tight fit on the shaft,so the interference fit needs only to drive the mag.
The engine is now in bits ready to assess, I can't believe what some people think is acceptable in building an engine,the big end eye is about 8 thou larger in diameter with a perfect lapped surface.The crankpin is absolutely shot,large area of bearing track have disappeared... There is also a bent and cracked tooth in the oil pump shaft. It would have soon gone bang.

['I can't believe what some people think is acceptable in building an engine'...']

After nearly 50years with British bikes and having run a business rebuilding engines etc. for 18 of those I ceased to be surprised by what I came across a number of decades back...

I guess it's the result of the fact the hobby is made up of enthusiastic amateurs with varying skill and knowledge levels, people who won't or can't afford to spend the money on what's needed, both amateur and professional shysters who don't have a conscience at all as long as they make a sale and a sizeable group who are none of the above and do it pretty well generally.

Also, workshops that vary from nearly tool room standard to gloomy 'holes in the wall' and equipped to varying degrees depending on whether the owner regards tools as a necessity to complete a job well or an unfortunate overhead that, if possible, is best avoided... A complete cross section of society in fact!!...Ian:laughing:

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1