Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
inside fuel tank clean

Hi all,
I am restoring a WM20 that has been in storage since 1956, I have had the frame, front girder,and guards sand blasted and used electrolysis to clean all other external parts. The outside of the fuel tank is easy but the inside has surface rust. What is the best way and procedure to make the inside usable again ?
Cheers
Kevin

email (option): myf1@hotmail.com.au

Re: inside fuel tank clean

I had the same issue with a 1954 Ariel tank. I poured two boxes of rivets into the tank, several handfuls, and shook the tank like a maraca for 15 minutes a few times a day for a few weeks. I'd pour out the rivets, wash them and rinse the tank and do it again. This removed the loose rust. When it was smooth I poured in a rust remover and inhibitor. Finally I poured in an epoxy gas tank coating like in the link- that's not the one I used but something like it. That was in 1990 and the tank is still rust free and well sealed. Others here may have newer or better processes.

https://www.amazon.com/Caswell-Epoxy-Tank-Sealer-Motorcycle/dp/B0155JGVZI

email (option): moatjon [ at ] aol.com

Thanks for that, I will give it a try
Regards

email (option): myf1@hotmail.com.au

I use pea gravel instead of rivets...That's the small, smooth gravel type used in aquariums which is readily available..I add some paraffin but you could equally use gun wash thinners or parts cleaning tank fluid...Once the inside is as clean as you want it wash out with some paint thinners and leave in a warm environment for the residual thinners to evaporate....You can then decide whether further treatments such as a tank liner are required...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

If its only surface rust just fill it up with vinegar for a week.We have done my sons G3l and B40GB using vinegar and it works a treat. You need to rinse and dry it quickly when you take out the vinegar as it will rust again quickly if damp. Probably not such a problem in the drier atmosphere of most of OZ.If it holds fuel I wouldn't do a slosh lining,I think they only store up problems for the future. Better to cut out the bottom of the tank and weld it if it leaks.

I agree- pea gravel is easier. In my case I had two boxes of rivets I was never going to use on a shelf and didn't feel like making a trip to the aquarium shop! My tank had pretty bad rust and a couple of pin holes which I brazed closed but had doubts about so I went with the epoxy. I've had no issues since but I agree if it's not necessary don't use it.

email (option): moatjon [ at ] aol.com

A lot easier way is Phospheric acid, pour it in and it eats the rust but not the metal. For very rusty items I leave it over night.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Phosphoric-Descaler-Remover-Metal-Surfaces/dp/B077RZ7WQR/ref=sr_1_13?crid=237NGYPNR057X&keywords=phosphoric+acid&qid=1575828290&sprefix=Phospheric+%2Caps%2C225&sr=8-13

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I use electrolysis on tanks as well as other components and it works great.

Fill the tank with water and dish washer salts to make an electrolyte, then put a strip of metal in the neck of the tank, connected to a battery or charger. Finally put the other battery lead on the outside of the tank.

Just make sure you dont touch the side of the tank with the metal strip !!

Nieuwe pagina 1