Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton big four engine

Can anyone let me know what the value of a complete Norton big four engine is worth, also 16H engines, I know a few years ago they could be obtained quite cheaply but I don't think so now, only reason I am asking is that someone asked me to find out.

Thanks in advance TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

Re: Norton big four engine

John you don't say if it's a war time Big 4 engine? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron, Yes ex military

Any chance of giving the engine number please including the suffix?

Hi John,

I'm looking for a cast iron 16H cylinder head if you have one for sale please?

Thanks,
Paul

email (option): eastwood007@ntlworld.com

Ex-WD Norton engines are a lot more common than the frames and running gear and unlike with the gearboxes, the engines are not really sought-after other than for WD machines. It seems to have been quite common at one time to remove the engines of bikes that were scrapped or maybe just hang on to the clapped out motor that had been replaced by a reconditioned WD unit bought for a few pounds.

If you're talking about well used lumps, dragged out from under a bench and needing a full rebuild, around £250 seems to be what people are asking for 16H engines...of course there will be comedians on eBay asking £650...but to come anywhere near that that I'd expect something that turned over easily with untampered numbers, decent fins, no broken lugs and no corrosion from standing on a damp floor.

WD SWD Big 4 engines would probably be more expensive but the market for them is extremely limited due to the small numbers of surviving chassis...There were quite a few engines and large lumps coming out of France a few years ago and they seemed to satisfy the market for a while. Knowing a few of the rivet-counters involved, I'd say that decent and untampered numbers would be essential in order to realise top money with perhaps a premium for a pre-war or pre-Dunkirk contract number.

Decent complete pre-war OHV Norton engines seem to fetch up towards £1000...the SV WD engines are not in that league and you can still get lucky and find a completish 16H engine for £100...

Thanks Rik.

For the info, not being a Norton man myself, I thought it would bee better to get an overall picture, so that I can offer some kind of advice.

Kind regards TTJohn

Nieuwe pagina 1