Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wassell concentric type carburettor

Good evening all.
The mono block carb that came fitted to my bike has well and truly had it, although not original I didn’t mind the look so much.
As a replacement I’m considering one of the Wassell concentric type carbs, they do a 26mm bore which is considerably cheaper than the Amal equivalent.
Has anyone any experience of these carbs?
Thanks,
Gino.

email (option): gino_kerekes@yahooooo.co.uk

Re: Wassell concentric type carburettor

I've used a few without any issues...The last one on my TRW...I've had more problems with new Amals, two of them in fact...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thank you Ian,

I think that’s made my mind up!

Cheers,

Gino.

email (option): gino_kerekes@yahoooo.co.uk

All I will say is ,I fitted one to my G3L 5 years ago, haven't touched it since.

Thanks Chris.
I think I’m going to invest when I get to that point, I’ll just see how funds are. I would really have liked to put the original type of carb on but don’t think funds will allow.
I considered second hand but that could turn out to be a minefield.
Thanks again,
Gino.

I'd go for the new carb...If 'originality' really bothers you it's a case of saving up and getting the right one later (or putting it on your Christmas list..:smile: )
Personally, I don't bother with second hand (or reconditioned) carbs unless I have to, I've found in the past they just create more problems. Most second hand carbs are second hand for a good reason...Usually excessive wear of the body and slide (at least).
Reluctantly I've just had a 1000 Series Concentric reconditioned for my Gold Star but I'd much rather have bought a new one. Sadly they aren't currently available...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

In the world of Pre65 trials the Wassell carbs don't have a good reputation.Rapid wear of the body and slide make it difficult to maintain accurate mixture control at low revs.(Just like the old original Concentrics)We always use the Amal premier units with a hard anodised slide. Even they can benefit from a couple of tweaks when new,but once set up correctly they last well.
I'd save up and buy the correct Amal unit,it will always be right then and the "experts" won't be always telling you its not original.

Thanks for all your advice guys,
I’ll cross the carb bridge when I come to it, hopefully before Christmas :grinning:
Gino.

email (option): gino_kerekes@yahoooo.co.uk

As an aside on new concentrics it is important that the flange nuts are only just "nipped" up as any more force distorts the body and the slide will stick. A few times at Pre 65 scrambles and Red Marley we have sorted bikes by just loosening the flange nuts half a turn!
Richard

Nieuwe pagina 1