Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA B series gearbox

Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask but the collective knowledge on here seems to be both wide and deep!
I'm trying to build up a gearbox from parts to use on a '39 B24 and would like to know if I can mix parts from the 37-40 B series box and the 46-48 B series box.
Specifically the gear pinions, can these be mixed? They individually look the same although they have different part numbers pre and post war and some have an identifying groove machined around the teeth, some don't.
I don't mind ending up with a hybrid box, I have a pre war shell and post war inner and outer covers. The change shaft and selectors are the same pre and post war.
Any suggestions other than "throw it away and buy an M20" gratefully received - I have two already so forget that...
Many thanks, Rupert

email (option): rupertratio@btinternet.com

Re: BSA B series gearbox

I used some parts from the later box when rebuilding a 1940 WB30 gearbox (as B29)...From memory I think the gears were interchangeable, though I recall the kickstart ratchet set up was different...the selector dogs and arms were also the same...The gear change operating assembly is the same as an M20....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Rupert
Hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask but the collective knowledge on here seems to be both wide and deep!
I'm trying to build up a gearbox from parts to use on a '39 B24 and would like to know if I can mix parts from the 37-40 B series box and the 46-48 B series box.
Specifically the gear pinions, can these be mixed? They individually look the same although they have different part numbers pre and post war and some have an identifying groove machined around the teeth, some don't.
I don't mind ending up with a hybrid box, I have a pre war shell and post war inner and outer covers. The change shaft and selectors are the same pre and post war.
Any suggestions other than "throw it away and buy an M20" gratefully received - I have two already so forget that...
Many thanks, Rupert
Very sorry Rupert, I can't offer much practical help with your gearbox build,(If it was a BSA unit single I know a top chap on them) but I have to point out you actually have ONE M20 !!:joy:

Many thanks for your input ian, what you say points in the direction I was hoping for.
Regards, Rupert.

Thanks for that John, "I have two", in terms of it being me who obtained both, look after both, and both are in my shed! But don't tell my beloved I said that, please... one is hers really, honest.
Rupert.

Rupert
Thanks for that John, "I have two", in terms of it being me who obtained both, look after both, and both are in my shed! But don't tell my beloved I said that, please... one is hers really, honest.
Rupert.
:laughing: Mmm, I can feel a cheap C15 build coming on here !! See you soon,best wishes to Lisa.

Nieuwe pagina 1