Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fuel tank adaptor

Hi all.
I take it this is an original correct fuel tank adaptor ?
I have a new 1/4" tap to go on but wont fit this. The adaptor thread is too small and the tank thread is too big !
Can I get an adaptor to fit and what threads do I need ?
Richard

email (option): richardpurkiss@hotmail.com

Re: Fuel tank adaptor

Richard the thread in the tank is 3/8 BSP and the original adapters were drilled and tapped to take 1/8 BSP taps. You should be able to find the correct adapters easy enough.....Or just get your old adapters drilled with a 11.8mm (29/64") drill and tap it with a straight 1/4 BSP tap.
Ron
Ps quite a few on Ebay. Providing your taps have their own filters atached?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=1%2F4+bsp+fuel+tap+adapters&_sacat=0

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks. I will try these. I get confused with some of these imperial sizes. 3/8" converts to 9.54mm, though the tank thread on my existing adaptor measures about 17mm diameter ?? is that correct for a 3/8" BSP tank thread ?

Pipe threads are determined by the size of the hole that the fluid flows through.
And yes it is very confusing .
I got sick of leaking fuel taps and bodgy aftermarket taps that do not fit or split where the slide goes through or the heads fall off the slide so I drilled out a step down sleeve to 12mm metric in order to fit a modern fuel tap.
Just waiting for some brass mesh to come through the post to solder on the outside.

For the last 2 years I have been running a Walbro stationary engine 1/4" fuel tap in order to get a non leaking tap.
Yet to find one on ebay I would trust on a lawn mower let alone a motorcycle.
Most of them are made from smaller hex bar then the originals so there is not enough meat either side of the slide to hold the slide.
Might be OK in the UK where 20 miles is a long ride but I have had slides fail in a single day 400 mile run and I have had enough of running on one tap with a golf tee jambed into the other side to get me home or if I am taking the bike in the var choking all the way home from the fuel fumes from a dribbling tap and that is after the crush nut are done up so tight you can barely move the slide and oversized corks fitted.
Just about every tap I have bought in the past 20 years has been chrome plated after assembly so the slide is chrome on each end & bare brass in the middle. Not a single one had the hole in the slide deburred let alone relieved so it does not chop up the cork every time toy turn it on & off.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

As for the step down adapter itself, every plumbing supply store will have then for about 1/3 the Evilpay prices and in a bigger range and most likely better made to boot.
You usually can get them in stainless, chromed brass as well as bare brass.
BSP is BSP , water , petrol , oil milk don't matter the threads are the same.
GAS as in stick your head in the oven after going mad trying to find non leaking fuel taps is usually BSPT, the t = tapered which is a better thread but can end up with the taps in funny positions .

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

These are by far the best option here in UK.......If you're not worried about authenticity (1/4 x 1/4 BSP)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-NORTON-TRIUMPH-AJS-MATCHLESS-1-4-BSP-MAIN-PETROL-FUEL-TAP-83-2800-SJ099/112683370085?hash=item1a3c73c665:g:FgMAAOSwrwhbxk86

As Trevor said the BSP/Gas sizes are based on the bore of the pipe. The actual thread sizes are :-
1/8 BSP = 3/8" 1/4 BSP = 1/2" 3/8 BSP = 5/8"

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I found some 1/4" adaptors at a plumbing merchant for 30p each. I will try those first !
Thanks for help.:smiley:

Nieuwe pagina 1