Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton 16H Gasket ?

Should the 500cc 16H engine have a paper gasket between the R/H crankcase & timing chest ? if so where can I get one otherwise I'll make It, or which sealer do you use ? I always use 'Wellseal'

Re: Norton 16H Gasket ?

Hello Ian,

There is no paper seal between timing cover and crankcase.

Its metal to metal with a sealant inbetween.
Any automotive sealant with fuel/oil resistance and filling properties should do the trick.

Personally I use Hylomar for years but I am sure there are other suitable products on the market.

Do you have the Instruction and Maintenance manual for WD16H? otherwise see my website.

Cheers,

Rob

www.wdnorton.nl

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Hi Ian. As Rob mentions, no paper gasket on that joint.......

I tend to spend a fair bit of time dressing the faces of joints on a surface plate with some fine abrasive to ensure they are as decent as possible.........and on jointing faces that are likely not to be stripped regularly, I personally use Hermetite "Green" which is a semi-hard setting sealant and works well........the "Red" is also just about as good.........

I tried "Welseal" in the past but found the product not as efficient.....in particular it didn't set well........

'Yamabond' is really rather good and it's grey, so it doesn't show. Wellseal smells best though :-) :heart_eyes:

Cheers guys I'm going to try Yamabond as a friend of mine also uses it on his vintage machines.

Nieuwe pagina 1