Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Good quality tap M20 Tank

After have bought bad quality Taps, i'm looking the same but in good quality .....
May be you have an adress ?

email (option): matrot.sandra@neuf.fr

Re: Good quality tap M20 Tank

I dont have an adress, Claude, but I was having the same problem many years.
Bought new model taps some years ago for all my bikes and everything works fine now.
Mind you, there a several types on M20's....
A good dealer in the UK should have them.

The original taps for an M20 were ENOTS with cork seals. There are quite good repros, but you can still be hampered by leaking corks.
I have these and other original types fitted to all my military bikes and am quite familiar with draining the tanks to change leaking corks:white_frowning_face:
895-1-1
But I have found that these which I've fitted to other bikes are by far the best if you're not too worried about authenticity. Ron
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Motorcycle-ETHANOL-PROOF-MAIN-petrol-tap-BSA-Triumph-Norton-Enfield/333034528497?hash=item4d8a679ef1:g:5XYAAOSw4YxanAOo

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I fitted the more modern type taps as fitted to most British bikes in the 60 -70's. Put a threaded reducer bush in the tank and soldered a couple of tapered ferrels onto the original fuel pipe to take the larger nut and the length was spot on. No more fuel leaks. I just got sick of fuel leaking past the corks and was worried one day it might burst into flames when starting if fuel got around magneto. Unfortunately they are chrome plated but they are fairly well hidden under the tank and if the hand pump is fitted that side is not very visible.
After several years of no more fuel leaks not one person has noticed the fuel taps not being original.

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

I keep passing on this bit of info, but not sure if anyone else has tried it? Replace the corks with a neoprene "cork" cut from one of those newfangled plastic wine bottle stoppers. Cut to size with a modelling knife and form the central hole using a hot wire. My taps have been leak free for 12 years plus since fitting. (maybe I should not have said that?!).

Go ahead Ferg! Go into production! You'll make a fortune and be able to retire young! :relaxed: Ron

Thank you you all :wink:
Ferg I have just a big problem, the wine I drink and like so mutch ( Burgundy, Jura , Bordeau, etc .... ) is not in plastic ...... :smile:

Ron Pier
Go ahead Ferg! Go into production! You'll make a fortune and be able to retire young! :relaxed: Ron
Not sure I could handle all that wine, Ron! I need all my remaining brain cells. Just back from a blast on the Honda, for a change. That conked out on me.....forgot to switch on the petrol! D'oooooh!

The only good taps on the market are Jiri's in the Czech republic, look here; https://www.vintage-replica.com/323--petrol-tap-with-whitworth--thread/ they both look like originals, are nickel plated, and do work!

my 2p,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net (think about this!)

Thank you Lex :wink:
I'll buy it and make a return here for the community .

Hi, I bought Jiris's taps, lovely quality but they still started leaking after two years
Regards steve

email (option): Johnsonsteve386@gmail.com

Nothing is perfect ...... :face_with_rolling_eyes:

Jiri's taps are made like the originals with corks! Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1