Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
petrol tap adaptor for Matchless

OK it's not a M20 but I'm going nuts trying to find adaptors so I can fit "normal" taps to my G80.
I need adaptors that are female 1/4 BSP to male 1/8 BSP. Has anyone got an idea where I can get these?
All I can find on-line are crappy things for paint spraying from China. :confounded:

there are plenty of BSPT and NPT adaptors around but I am after the non-tapered variety.

cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Re: petrol tap adaptor for Matchless

A 1/4 to 1/8 reducer would be quite a normal fitting. But the way I read your request, it sounds like you are asking for an 1/8 to 1/4 "increaser"?? (Is there such a fitting?) I reckon this would have to be specially machined and would move your tank outlet down by at least 1/2".

Very rough sketch! Ron
Scan-20190818

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron

I am after the reducer like in your sketch, female 1/4 down to male 1/8. If that is a standard fitting,any idea where I can get one (or 2)?

It's the sort of fitting in the plumbing trade that would be called an M&F fitting (Male and Female). I think you would be better to get them made by an engineer. Ron

Although I just found this https://www.exalto-emirates.com/04-pumps-plumbing-and-sanitary/06-fittings/reducing-nipple-with-m-f-heads-brass-art-0246/reducer-18-x-14-m-f-brass.html

Is one of those too long ears on the donkey problem?

why not just open out and re-tap the holes in the tank.?

Although I can't see what your problem with the 1/8 taps is anyway.
Never had any grief with them.

Ken I think Pete's problem is the unavailability of modern replacement taps in 1/8 BSP. I did think to suggest tapping out the original threads, but it depends if there is sufficient thickness to the bosses. Ron

My problem with the original taps, with the cork inserts etc, is that I have several bikes and as the Matchless gets used very infrequently, the corks dry out and it pisses petrol everywhere when I do fancy a ride on it. Putting a couple of reliably non-leaky type taps on, of which I have a drawer full, is for me the answer. I just need an adaptor or two. I could knock up some on the lathe but would have to buy another BSP Tap (got a die) which is probably more than the cost of buying adaptors -if they do indeed exist!

I don't want to retap the tank...one day I will die and the next owner may want to fit the originals. :laughing:

Ron, thanks for the link.....but in the U.A.E., there must be someone more local!

This is what you want :-

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/brass-bronze-threaded-fittings/0439975/

or in steel for hydraulics which would be stronger.

https://uk.brammer.biz/product/1153966/name/PARKER-THREAD-REDUCER-EXPANDER-RI1-8EDX1-4CF

Pete, you'll have Parker Legris dealers anywhere, but Parker do have odd minimum box quantities.

Surely then, 1/8 taper cock brass taps are the way to go and perfectly period.

with the way you are intending ultimate authenticity is not an issue?

When I lay a bike up the empty tank gets litre of two stroke mix in it,stops the tank rusting and wets the cork.

Nieuwe pagina 1