Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM20 fuel range

So I have been challenged to ride my M20 to Norway next summer! Obviously not to be taken lightly if for no other reason than its not finished yet, but I’m up for it!
As I start to plan I need an idea of what mileage I can expect so over to you guys, what tank/front sprocket combination and mileage are you generally getting?
Cheers!!

email (option): Larkesr@geeeemail.com

Re: WM20 fuel range

A standard WM20, cruising at say 45-50 mph will only return around 40-45 mpg. So with a 3 gallon tank, I'd be starting to look for a top up at around every 100 miles. Surprisingly, the bigger 600cc and 720cc engines with taller gearing are more economical. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

As I imagine in the more remote places on route you might have few opportunities for refueling thus carrying a few extra litres is useful. Arrange a frame/carrier on your panniers to accommodate a couple of 2 liter plastic bottles, one for oil, one for petrol. It may seem a bit of work but when you are a long way from anywhere with no sign of salvation insight it will be very welcome!
Good luck and have fun!
Richard

The ferry companies won't be very keen, but maybe a contact could have a jerrycan waiting on the other side ?

B-RAF-with-Jerrycan

Norway isn't a complete wilderness, there are lots of towns and villages with petrol stations and it shouldn't be impossible to plan a route to pass one at least every hundred miles or so.

I admit it was easier for me when I took my M20 to Norway, we stayed with the Norwegian Home Guard and they slopped some petrol in my bike every time we stopped, its a beautiful country, I would like to go the far north one day.

Rob

DSCF4706

DSCF4688

DSCF4719

DSCF4746

DSCF4740

DSCF4722

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

I found I was having to go onto reserve at about 100 miles while doing Lejog on my M20.

Nieuwe pagina 1