Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: M20 fire extinguisher

Never officially used or fitted to my knowledge! Although I have seen one (got the picture) of one fitted to a Canadian motorcycle instructors 16H. Ron
Norton-training

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi I have a photo of some 16H bikes with extinguishers one attached to the carrier and one beside the oil tank.
Not sure how to upload to the site.
Cheers
John
PS I have a German gas mask canister attached to the carrier on my 41 WM20 which contains a modern extinguisher:upside_down_face:

email (option): jsaft1951@xtra.co.nz

Ron Pier
Never officially used or fitted to my knowledge! Although I have seen one (got the picture) of one fitted to a Canadian motorcycle instructors 16H. Ron
Superb photo Ron - note no sump guard, no lights, wide handlebars, no carrier etc. I think certain ranks could modify their personal machines as they wished - this may have happened here. I have a wartime photo somewhere of a much modified G3L as used by an Army Major who engaged in pre-war motorcycle trials. If someone built a replica of that machine I can imagine there would be folk who would say no such machine existed in the war but in fact it did!!

The photo of the instructor's 16H Ron, was actually taken on the extensive military training areas to the west/south west of Aldershot where numerous Canadian troops were stationed during the war........

In fact, this image was taken at "Caesars Camp" which is a prominent ancient hill fort on that land........you can still access the area today on foot and it affords excellent views over Aldershot, Farnborough and the Surrey Borders.......it's a little overgrown nowadays as the area, despite still belonging to the MoD, simply doesn't receive the regular military traffic that it used to....

This image is sometimes misdescribed as having been taken at Frensham Sands (Sandpit) between Farnham and Hindhead (Surrey) but this is incorrect.......Caesars Camp area is also very sandy as depicted in the image....you can even view Aldershot Barracks in the distance.........

On a final point, Frensham Sands and the "pond" (more like a lake) was used as a filming location for "Carry on Columbus" and "Carry on Jack"......!

Would fit with the photo I have as it is a downhill race and I think they are Canadian's Henk has a copy of the photo which I scanned and emailed him.
Cheers
John

email (option): jsaft1951@xtra.co.nz

John, If you mail the photo to me, I'll happily post it here.

This is the only other image that I've ever seen with an extinguisher..also an instructor.

Tea-Wagon

I have a number of original copies of 'Equipment to Scale' relating to motorcycles and extinguishers are never included.

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1