Comment
BSA handle bar lever.

Bsa handle bar lever patent, ebay item 133107017331

Re: BSA handle bar lever.

Make a nice picture! Ron
s-l1600-1

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

There is more info on the patent website, a rather interesting place to browse.

Rob

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=GB&NR=374281A&KC=A&FT=D&ND=3&date=19320609&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP#

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/mosaics?CC=GB&NR=374281A&KC=A&FT=D&ND=3&date=19320609&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP#

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Interesting but pricey....and £43 for posting a document from the U.S.?....I wonder how much my factory engine drawing for the WB30 is worth?...:laughing: Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Here a cleaned up version.

s-l1600

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Well done Henk.....A nice picture to go with my original levers!:relaxed: Ron

Are these the same levers that I see on some of the pictures of Big 4's.

email (option): mcdonnell.roberts@sympatico.ca

No these are BSA's own pre-war levers and also fitted to early WD M20's. There is a 'hand brake' button for sidecar use.

Norton used Doherty controls. (even the twist grip)

I think it was only the early Big 4's that had combination (piggy back) levers, But mostly they had the separate levers.
Handlebars-02
After years of collecting and swapping, I've finally got a correct set of Doherty controls for mine. Strangely for some reason, the clutch lever blade on these Norton's is shorter than the brake lever? Ron
DSCF1749

Thanks for the info Ron. Are the ones in your photo the small hex or the large hex with square corners on the cable ferrule side?

Ron, pre-war WD16H production used the 'combination' levers too. I have a contemporary note in a Spare Parts List which indicates that they changed from frame number 105761 which must have been about Mid-August 1939. They were, I think quite susceptible to damege. The same basic casting as used on the civilian range (which went to 7/8" bars for 1937) but of course with bigger holes and less metal left over !

Because the 1" combination levers were a WD-only part used 1936 - 1939, they are incredibly scarce. Very few bikes can have survived the war without having taken a couple of tumbles.

The longer brake lever was a pre-war Norton selling point. The Inters had a seriously long blade - Big brake levers were sporty.

Michael Roberts
Thanks for the info Ron. Are the ones in your photo the small hex or the large hex with square corners on the cable ferrule side?
Michael, mine are the levers that you mention with the large hex and square corners. I also now have them on my 1940 16H. I believe that the other ones with the smaller hex were fitted to later 16H's.....before the pressed steel type were implemented.

Rik thanks for the additional info on the pre-war bikes. Ron
16H-291

Ron,thank you for the additional info and the pictures. Very useful.

Believe it or not, the shipping cost to the UK for this document is about right. International postage in the US is very expensive.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

These items should be in a national archive...How the hell did they come into private ownership ?

They claim to own the rights to these drawings now....

https://maymontgroup.com/pages/our-mission-1

If Saif Malki wishes to claim that he holds the rights to Norton fork designs then I'll see him out the back...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Spring-Forks-Norton-Motors-Limited-Original-Patent-Lithograph-1933/133107014489?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D57478%26meid%3Ddfd34d2b3e59415eaf9dde10015c305f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D133115857710%26itm%3D133107014489%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851[url/]

Note these aren't the original drawings but a reproduction of them...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Original drawings will be on B0 or B1 sheets of linnen.
These are search copies that would have been held in the public library section.
You will note there is no title block or scale both of which must be on the originals and that some of the drawings have a library stamp on them.
Local Technical Colleges will have large libraries of similar material that was relevant to the courses being taught.

Down here you can search the patients library for free but if you want the full patent then you have to pay for it's retreval and in some instances pay for full size copies to be made from the originals, which usually takes weeks.

Public libraries are having collections like these digitized because the cost of storage is massive.
They then sell off the material to offset the digitizing costs.
What is criminal is they probably paid 25¢ for each page because they get sold in job lots.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Cas Vanderwoude
Believe it or not, the shipping cost to the UK for this document is about right. International postage in the US is very expensive.

No shipping is a rip off.
Those prices are for individual single packs.
Buy them in dozens and the price goes down by 10%
In hundreds they drop another 15%
If bought in bulk & delivered to the sorting center they end up being about 1/2 the retail price

The Norton fork drawing that they are selling is stamped to indicate that it was the copy sent to the U.S. Patent Office - copies of the original would have been sent to all the offices worldwide where protection was considered necessary.

What annoys me is the suggestion that they are retaining 'digital copyright' to the reproduction drawings - Buying them has in no way transferred copyright to the company..If still in copyright, it should belong to the successors of the companies that deposited them - In no way is copyright owned by a patent office or whoever they pass the drawings on to.

Fortunately, additional copies are likely to have been preserved in the British archives where they will remain publically accessible, as they should be.

They are claiming digital copywrights so if some one buys one then uses it on T-shirts , mugs etc they can sue them.
Also prevents some one purchasing one and then making 10,000 copies and selling them .
It means next to nothing outside the country where it was registered.
Decades ago we decided to do some limited edition reprints of BSA advertising material.
We spent hundreds of hours scanning & cleaning up the images.
Then a limited print run.
Within weeks of advertising the prints the images we had worked on were all over the place , on mugs, T-shirts, mouse mats , bumper stickers, fridge magnets , jigsaw puzzels, caps . You name the item and our works was on it.
The next time we only advertised they were available to view & purchase at club meetings.
It took those about 2 years to suddenly be everywhere.

For a while you could thawt the thieves by using photos taken at funny angles but now days photoshop will auto correct them back to the original so there is no stopping the image thieves.

Trevor,
These envelopes are free to pick up from the post office in any quantities. You pay when you mail them. And I would think if you are sending a couple hundred a day, the price will be cheaper, but not 1/2. I see this seller has a low feedback so it's unlikely they get anywhere near those discounts. Remember, Ebay takes 10%, Paypal takes another 3% and if you ship without going through Ebay, you will need to manually enter the shipping details across to each Ebay sale - not a job for the faint-hearted. And USPS does not give discounts for international shipping.

An Ozzie facebook friend and I exchanged (almost identical) ammeters just recently. It cost me AUS$70 in postage to send to Victoria and it cost him AUS$24 to send his ammeter to me in Hawaii. I'm a shining example of Clog-wog "frugality" and if there had been a cheaper way to send it, I would have found it.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

I buy mower parts from the USA daily.
I get 10 lbs for $ 32 US in a USPS flat rate pre-paid carton.
A friend sells advertisements which he posts worldwide .
A single prepaid international tube was $ 24 which went down to $ 15 if bought in bulk and dropped off pre-sorted to the sorting centers. So he charges $ 20 and the balance of the postage profit pays for the ebay & paypal fees.
When i was in airfreight we used to do bulk remailing where a sack of letters were sent to us & we would then frank them & post them, again delivered to the sorting center.
We got a 25% discount on the postage which was credited to the franking machine after we had lodged.
Things like company annual reports are a prime example of this.
It was a 2 way deal as we would also bulk freight to the rest of the world for them to do the same .
Now postal rates world wide have gone up to take advantage of internet shopping but there are big discounts available as the USPS ( and all other PS ) have to match the sort of discounts available from the likes of DHL & Fedex.
If he is selling hundreds ( see his "other items" ) of prints then he will be getting big discounts.
Trust me every freight sales rep would be messaging him offering big bulk discounts.
Door to door freight breaks down roughly into thirds.
1/3 is the pick up cost.
1/3 is the handleing & freight costs
1/3 is the delivery cost.

SO drop it off to the sorting centre and you are looking at a 25% discount minimum , if the quantaties are big enough.

Nieuwe pagina 1