Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Refitting a Matchless G3 / G3L engine and gearbox.

I've restored and re built many g3ls over the last few years, I always fit the rear engine plates with bolt loose to the frame, i always fit the bottom half engine, I fit the front engine plate with the horn and spacers, leave bolts loose, then put the engine in the frame, fit front mount bolt, fit bolts to the rear mounts with Dynamo strap, and the fit the front lower engine/frame mount with the two spacers. Tighten all bolts, fit the Dynamo and bolt for the chain case, then the gearbox, fit barrel and rest of the engine top end, then fit the magneto, fit timing side case, fit spacers and then inner primary case, fit clutch and dyno chain etc and then another spacer and bolt, then outer primary cover, fit seal then allot band. Fit foot rest bar with spacer between the engine plates, fit carb and exhaust, kick start and gear lever, time the engine, add engine oil.

I have fitted the engine complete a few times but you do need help and plus you could scratch paint etc
I spoes thees bike are easy to work for me and ken and some others on the forum as we do em all the time but if you do t know much about em it can be a pain, knowing all the bolts and spacers

Thanks and all the best, Barry

email (option): fullerbarry@hotmail.co.uk

John, the long stud that goes through the primary case has a spacer between the engine plates, another as you say between the engine plate and inner primary and then a spacer and washer inside the primary case. Cheers JT

email (option): Tinley@btinternet.com

John Tinley
John, the long stud that goes through the primary case has a spacer between the engine plates, another as you say between the engine plate and inner primary and then a spacer and washer inside the primary case. Cheers JT
Damn I forgot to mention that extra spacer in the primary bolt

email (option): fullerbarry@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you Ron,John and Barry. Yes I did forget that spacer ! And I didn't add it in my list - Which I will edit. My problem is that I work on so many different things I just can't remember all the little bits. I currently have a 1948 IOE Land Rover engine to build, a TD5 Landrover head in bits,2x G3L's,a Stihl chainsaw engine and a part built B44 Bsa. Then there is a 1950 Chevrolet pickup and a 1959 SII Landrover to finish restoring...
Too much to do !

email (option): joncvsv8@yahoo.co.uk

Each to their own,

One thing that I find helps assembly is to not faff about with fitting the various studs. I have a selection of long tapered rods which I use to bash into the various holes to get the engine into place, better that trying to strain bits into place to get the studs through.

Nieuwe pagina 1