The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Engine noise

Hi Ian,

Yes, I kinda agree... The gearbox HAD moved somehow and tightened the primary chain, but that was adjusted and the noise went away.. Result! However, a short while later, the noise came back, so I checked the primary chain and gearbox adjustment tension again, but this time it was fine...??

The noise seems to be coming from the back of the engine, around the mag/dynamo area... (Long screwdriver to the ear helped trace it thus far).

I have my suspicions about the mag gear being too tight, but the only thing I can think of to sort that would be to raise the mag very slightly... (Not sure how common this practice is though??) The mag straps are all tight, perhaps too tight? Maybe these are pulling the Mag/Dynamo down too hard onto the gearing??

I will have another fiddle about the next time i'm off work, as this needs to be sorted for the Arnhem trip next month.

Cheerz for now
Ian

email (option): fozzie001@hotmail.com

Re: Engine noise

It is normal practice to fit a shim(or shims) under the magneto to adjust the gear tooth mesh...It isn't a good idea to run for long with the gears too tightly meshed. Firstly there is the issue of gear wear but also, and perhaps more importantly, it loads up the drive end bearing in the magneto...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1