The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: side stand

I would also be interested.
That is a nice neat set up, much easier than finding a curb of the correct height to rest the foot peg on.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

I met Joseph years ago in Netley Marsh.
He makes very nice parts, very high quality.

Test fit of side stand plates, one step closer to production!

20190826_191725

email (option): xeon25@hotmail.com

That is much more sophisticated than my Dutch sidestand. Do you have a full assembly and how much would that be?

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Cas, what is the OEM number on yours? I can't find it anywhere. :wink: (I'm actually impressed with your resourcefulness)

Andrew, I'm interested in one of those sidestands if/when they're available.

email (option): moatjon( at) aol.com

Me too:+1: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Interested :+1:

Don't forget me as well.

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Our bikes have front-wheel stands, rear-wheel stands and field stands, plus they like nothing better than to be leaned against trees and walls...and you lot want to fit another stand to them :grinning:

Would a sidecar be a better idea ?

When I leave home I need to open and shut a five bar gate and leave the engine running. You can't safely use the field stand on these unless you turn the engine off and leave it in gear, the only alternative is to heave it on the rear stand twice!!!??? :confounded: Cas's idea would work apart from carrying a block of wood up me jumper. Ron

One step closer

20191008_143723

A very interesting thread, years ago Steve Madden gave me these bits, then Henk copied them for his project, I have the plates fitted to my 1943 M20 but I never got around to using it as it was missing one or some spacers and stops that go in the middle.

Has another original set of these parts turned up or is mine the only "original"? and how have you done the middle bits for the replicas?

Rob

sidestand10

sidestand1

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Would also be interested!!!!

email (option): jsaft1951@xtra.co.nz

Me too please.

email (option): 6cdo@skynet.be

My knees would be very interested in one of these.

My knees would be very interested in one of these.

Yes also interested in a set.

Thanks
Rick

email (option): rbrouard@guernsey.net

Nice...! Interested in purchase,

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Yes please put me down for one, it would save the main stand two step. Mike.

email (option): strongperry@sky.com

Hi put me down for one please cheers Phil

email (option): Sportsterphil@hotmail.co.uk

I'm interested!

Regards, Scott

email (option): sd246@sbcglobal.net

Me too !

Is there some optimism here? How many are being produced? Ron

talked to adam 2 days ago and what he told me it will be at first 20 sidestands..
He is very busy at the time he said to me

Ready for welding......then I will fit one on my bike!

20191119_120855

Hi Adam, nice work! I see the adjustment of the position of the rearpedal lost in this setup?

Or does the cutout on top has something to do about that?

BR Michiel

I have them remaking them, I realized were they bent them over is to high up....anyway I'm getting rid of that notch on the next batch, shouldn't have been like that, you will be able to grind away some material for adjustment

Hi Adam. Anything new on the side stand project?

Adam ,

I would be interested in a side stand when ready please .

email (option): s.foster11@blueyonder.co.uk

Are there drawings available somewhere?

email (option): moatjon [ at ] aol.com

Has there been any progress on this. Not seen any updates posted for a while

I would also like one of these. Any news ?

email (option): colinmbrindley@btinternet.com

Bump

Anything, even a No I can`t do them would help, because I`m sure there`s a market for a batch of these. I`m sick of doing the "balance the bike whilst I run to the rear and throw it up onto the rear stand dance, often with a big crowd wincing at the thought of me dropping it" . If no reply I will get my CAD guys at work to copy what I`ve seen and get some made.

I would like to join you Colin - I have the same as you described 🥴.

Have the impression the initiator lost interest.

email (option): Patrick dot vandertier through casema.nl

I contacted Adam. He has not lost interested but because of the lock down he has difficulties getting the metal laser cut. Please note that getting parts made is quite a hassle. People often do not live up to their promises when you get parts made. I have been there and I have learned the hard way that you need a downpayment to make sure that it is worthwhile. I have been burnt badly a few times so I am reluctant to start having parts made again.

email (option): leonhop3_at_planet_dot_nl

['Please note that getting parts made is quite a hassle..']

I'll second that..There is also the risk that having invested your time and money the parts won't sell..I had a batch of M20 rear stands made and just couldn't sell them at a reasonable price...It seems people would only buy them at 'giveaway' prices...In the end I shifted what I had left more or less at cost and certainly wouldn't consider making any more...

The big problem is getting the three things that are needed...Good quality at competitive prices in relatively small quantities...Also expect to do plenty of pre manufacture research, prototyping,, running around getting things done, hassle with delays, problems with specifications etc. etc....And don't expect much thanks for your efforts!!..:laughing: ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for info Leon. If he’s struggling to get things done, post here for help. I use and know several companies that we use for work that are quick turnaround for laser cutting and bending. It would be much easier to help him rather than start from scratch.

email (option): colinmbrindley@btinternet.com

I agree with Leon and Ian. I've been getting parts made for years and sometimes wonder why I do it. But it would have been nice for Adam to have responded since his last post about 9 months ago. Even if only to notify us he is abandoning the project of hand it over to someone else. I'm sure most engineering firms are back in business by now. Ron

I'm very interested in seeing the specs / measurements of the leg. A series of xyz photos with a ruler could work. From Adam's Oct. 25 post it looks like he has a number of the flat steel pieces already cut. The drawings of those would be nice too, if he's not ready to offer them for sale.

I'm a sculptor and modeler who uses 3D printing a great deal. I've printed items in stainless steel (technically 70% stainless and 30% bronze). It's very expensive per unit but there isn't the initial cost of setting up a casting. Casting multiples will of course make each unit cheaper and offsets the initial investment, that is if they all sell. And that's the risk.

I do understand that Adam would be justifiably reluctant to share this information. It's his intellectual property.

Thank you gent's for checking and building on my maybe provokative statement.
I acquired the stand leg from Joseph already (which is real well made btw) and and am happy to make a down payment with any who can make the other parts.
Thanks.

email (option): Patrick dot vandertier through casema.nl

Call me a Luddite, but I'm still taken with Cas's hand-carved prop: a simple wonder of design. A webbing frog could make it the ideal Christmas gift.

email (option): cmmacd@hotmail.co.uk

Ron Pier
I agree with Leon and Ian. I've been getting parts made for years and sometimes wonder why I do it. But it would have been nice for Adam to have responded since his last post about 9 months ago. Even if only to notify us he is abandoning the project of hand it over to someone else. I'm sure most engineering firms are back in business by now. Ron
Any one sent him a PM or made a phone call enquiring as to his health ?
Things like life do interrupt motorcycling .
In Jan this year the arthritis I did not know I had for the last 20 years struck .
Since that time I have barely done a full days work .
At age 60 with several thousands worth of parts ordered, my contract was not renewed , I am still paying the interest on the loan I had to take out to pay for them .
A friend vanished from the face of the earth. we finally found out he had a stroke and is now non verbal & living in a care home.
He was 42 and a keen motorcyclist.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

If you read back three days Trevor. Leon said he's been in touch with Adam. Ron

I have no problem with side stands as I have a sidecar fitted to my M20

email (option): Gawls62@icloud.com

Well this works. Going to try and post pictures but I never seem to get this right.
IMG-8443
IMG-8444
IMG-8447

Nice job Colin. I've just fitted a similar style to the rear frame but had to extend it because the lower chainguard prevents it fitting at vertical angle.
I might try your arrangement. Did you weld the flat mounting plate to the stand or braze?
I won't rush though as I'd prefer an original style as Adam is having made.
Dean

It started off as the same stand as yours but I wasn’t happy without a lower chain guard( or the Mrs wasn’t sat on the back) so I fitted a chain guard. then just chopped the clamp off and welded a flat plate to it after checking the angle several times . It’s only a temp fix until as you say a better solution comes along. For the 3 seconds I need it to support the bike whilst I tip toe to the rear and yank it Onto the rear stand it works.

Revisiting this thread after months of no further progress. I emailed Adam a week a go and got no reply. In the mean time, I've had two attempts at making my own jiffy stand to enable me to open and close a gate with the engine running.

First attempt didn't feel like it would hold the bike on a gravel drive and the second attempt is my nod to that original type and yet to be tested.

But I've been loaned an original BSA leg and going to get one/some cast in SGI (Ductile cast iron) and modify my bracketry to suit...I hope.
The ones Josef makes and supplied Adam, don't look quite right to me? Ron
DSCF3179

<

sidestand-12<

sidestand10-2

I did something similar to Ron and Colin on my rigid B33...It works really well....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ron Pier
Revisiting this thread after months of no further progress. I emailed Adam a week a go and got no reply. In the mean time, I've had two attempts at making my own jiffy stand to enable me to open and close a gate with the engine running.

First attempt didn't feel like it would hold the bike on a gravel drive and the second attempt is my nod to that original type and yet to be tested.

But I've been loaned an original BSA leg and going to get one/some cast in SGI (Ductile cast iron) and modify my bracketry to suit...I hope.
The ones Josef makes and supplied Adam, don't look quite right to me? Ron

<

<

Hi Ron,

You are right the one that Josef makes is not really correct, these will need a lot of additional work to make them look like an original 1. I thought I was the only one with that problem, till I spoke to Michiel. He told me he had to do do a lot of additional work as well, as Michiel also bought a replica from Josef. Michiel and I both have an original 1 and compared them with Josef's replica but Josef's replica is just different.

Regards,
Bastiaan

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

Well when the original arrives by post, I'll be talking to Nick at the foundry. I'm happy to order a batch to be made, but I won't be offering any further parts or machining. Josef sells his incorrect legs for £65 plus P&P each. Ron

Hi

has anyone an update on those stands and know if some good ones would soon be available ?

Thinking to fit one on the WM20 as indeed this makes life much more easy

Cheers

Y.

email (option): its.me.twixi[AT]gmail[DOT]com

I was determined to complete this project on my bike for my own benefit and was able to borrow an original stand to use as a pattern to get some cast. I had very limited response to my offer to get some made for anyone else. I fabricated my own bracketry and am very pleased with the result....The pattern has now been returned to it's owner and I have no intention of revisiting this project.

I would say that the project started by the original poster has died in the water. Ron

sidestand-DSCF3872-2
sidestand-DSCF4234

Nieuwe pagina 1