Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front Fender Stay Question

The the fender stay that mounts on the front top part of the front fender isn't long enough to reach the fender. There is about 3/8" gap. Is that normal or do I have the wrong fender stay. I would expect it would bolt up flush. When I try to push the fender down I'm afraid that i will damage it. Does anybody out there have any experience with how the fender stay should fit? Steve

email (option): pswebster1@netzero.net

Re: Front Fender Stay Question

It sounds to me like you have the "long" forks fitted and omitted the spacer?

At some point by 1941, the forks were extended by 1/2" and an ugly 1/2" long hex spacer was used under the central mudguard support. Measure your forks between the centers of the wheel spindle and damper spindle, if it's 17 1/8" then you have the long forks.

You can just about see the spacer in this picture (click to expand) and I might be able to find one for dimensions if you need them. Ron

W1

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron,

Do you know of a place where I can source the spacer? Or worse case, where I can get the dimensions or a good picture so I can fabricate them. Steve

email (option): pswebster1@netzero.net

It's quite simple! It's a piece of .525" hex bar 1/2" long with a 1/2" each end of 5/16" x 26tpi BScycl thread. Ron
DSCF1699

The BSA part number is 66-6557. There is one currently listed on Stuart Bray Motorcycles website.

I guess if you had to pay an engineer to make one, it would cost you 20 Quid?

http://www.stuart-bray-motorcycles.co.uk/parts/bsa-wm20-spares/n-o-s-66-6557-front-mudguard-stud/

Ron

This is a closer shot of an original fit - large flat washer on the top of the guard.
You could make a 1/2" stack of washers to check this resolves the guard fit?

Ray

Nieuwe pagina 1