Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Plus 16H

Ron, Horror and Rob

Thanks for your response to my post back in April and apologies for the delay in acknowledgement.

Rob, I am happy for the bike to appear on the website and I have emailed you to this effect.

Ron and Horror, my knowledge of military numbering and everything associated is minimal, could you please tell me the difference between a census number and a contract number.

I am planning to start recommissioning the Norton soon. No cosmetics to start with, I just want to get it running and rideable and take it from there. I'll be posting reports of progress soon.

Many thanks.

email (option): tony@leedal.co.uk

Re: Plus 16H

When the Department of Army Contracts, later the Ministry of Supply ordered vehicles from a manufacturer, they issued first a 'Demand' and once terms were agreed, a contract. These contracts were numbered, initially with a prefix 'V' for Vehicles but 'C' (for motor-cycles). Later the prefix became 'S'. These were four or five digit numbers which were the same for a batch of thousands.

Each individual vehicle received a unique reference number which was displayed on it. Correctly referred to as a War Department (WD) Serial Number, because it referred to the numbers on the WD vehicle census, it is commonly known as the 'Census Number'. Motorcycles always have a 'C' prefix, if the next batch of numbers was for cars, the prefix was 'M'. Trucks had 'Z' etc.

Nieuwe pagina 1