Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Valanced rear mudguard...

Does anyone have the contact details for the Australian chap that was making the very good repro M20 mudguards?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Valanced rear mudguard...

There is a chap trading under Vintage Steel in Donnybrook Western Australia who manufactures mudguards.
his contact details off his business card is email Enquiries@Vintagesteel.com.au, mob 0497 999 011 international callers +61 497 999 011. web site www.vintagesteel.com.au.
Hope that assists.

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

+1 for them.
They made a couple of guards for me for the S and they were top notch.
When it rains again & people break their lawn mowers again the will be doing 2 sets for the B's , 26 no brake & 27 drum brake.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Just been to a local swap meet this morning and the guy from Vintage steel was there selling his products. I asked him about a valanced rear guard for the M20. He never had one there but showed me photographs and they look really nice. But wait for it at $960 (Aust) quite expensive. He did state a lot of work goes into making them but he assures me they are a perfect fit. Any purchase outside Australia would be GST free so freight would be the only other cost to factor in.

All his guards on display appear to be of high standard, all that is needed is to paint them. In the long run probably better option than cheap Indian copies that probably don't fit, plus these are made of quality Aussie steel, remember we have millions of tons of the best iron ore in the world.

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

Cheap is a relative word
It cost a touch over a grand for the S mudguards and then another $ 50 in POR 15 for me to brush paint them.
They will last 100 years or more, the steel is nice & thick & they were a perfect fit.

A set from Europe would have cost much more than that and still needed to be painted.
A set from a reliable source in India would be around $ 500 plus 20 hours modifing them to fit.
Quality is never expensive and cheap is rarely good.

Their guards are hand rolled and that takes a lot of time & even more skill.
It is not like the 40's when the steel was run through the profiled rollers and came off in an endless spiral for Mary to chop off to length on the flying guillotine then Ruth to trim on a press then Tom to roll the edges before Cathy put the template over the guard and punched out the holes on the kick press before it went to Bob to degrease so Vic could paint it.

Those days of £ 1 / day labour are long gone as are all of the press dies & shaped rollers.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1