Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Barbarossa..

It's the anniversary of the beginning of 'Operation Barbarossa' today, the German invasion of Russia....It could reasonably be argued the final outcome of the war was determined on this date as well as a result..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Barbarossa..

As a very amateur historian I resist declaring historical fact as every book I read has a different slant but Barorossa was very much a pivital point in the conflict as it was by far the largest act of agression instigated by the Nazis and was they Nemesis. At least 2/3rds of facist effort was expended on the Eastern Front and the final out come would have been long delayed without the Soviet resistance. I've travelled fairy extendively in Russia and Ukraine and the Great Patriotic War is still an important element in the psyche of "mature" people as the effort and the loses were tremendous, it also shapes our present world through the divergent philosophies of the nations involved whether you agree with them or not. So, yes the 22nd of June is an important date for those with a grasp of history.
Richard

Incidentaly, Barbarossa (red beard) was a Germanic King and Holy Roman Emperor who drowned in 4 feet of water in a river in Turkey on his way to the Third Crusade. An omem perhaps?
Richard.

Not so long ago a saw an article in a magazine about this. I read that all over Europe people where cheering at this news because they knew that A.H. was never going to make it.

Nieuwe pagina 1