Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum picture

What bicycles are those in the picture? they look great, I want one! Anyone know anything about them?
Richard

Re: Forum picture

They are Americans, don't know much about their bicycles?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

The British ones are what were known as trade pattern bicycles. Various MK's and built by various firms BSA-Phillips-Royal Enfield-Mercury etc. lots were also supplied to the army post war and I think I'm right in saying that the wartime bikes had 28" wheels whereas post war had 26" wheels. Most wartime bikes would have had a stirrup front brake and coaster rear brake (pedal back) so only one handlebar lever. The rear carriers are usually dated.

Here's a link to a museum https://bsamuseum.wordpress.com/1944-bsa-mk-v-military-roadster/

You often see them for sale on Milweb or Stuart Bray but you need to do some research if you want a definite wartime model. Ron

Scan-20190618

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

PS. I do know a guy in south UK who specializes in US bicycles. Would have to look him up if you want to ask about that type. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for your interest, they are clearly American bicycles with 2" tyres, double cross bar and pull back handle bars. All the other equipment appears to be of WW1 vintage, uniforms and rifles, only the bored officer is up to date. Americans with bicycles pretending to board a dummy DC3, how they must have enjoyed that!
Richard

email (option): richard177smith'btinternet.com

Post 1937 if those Garand M1 rifles are general issue (and not trail versions), and pre 1941 before the M1 helmet was adopted.

email (option): richardpurkiss@onlinecad.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1