Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Homemade degreaser?

Hi guys,
Is it possible to make this stuff at home?
The dirt that I would like to remove is the regular mud-oil-grease-sand paste, hardened at some areas, located on the frame.
I will need thick material, so it will be able to sit on the spot for soaking propose, and a brush will be used.
Of course - thick layers will be removed manually.
So – did anyone of you made one at home?
And, if the DIY is not relevant – what recommended stuff do you use?
I know that simple WD40 can be a bit of a degreaser, but I'm looking for something stronger.
Thanks!

email (option): michasteinmann@gmail.com

Re: Homemade degreaser?

Hi Michael, When the grease/dirt is hardened it can easily been softened and removed by heating it a little, I use a small touch of the blowtorch on separate parts, or you can use a paintstripper if you don't want to use open fire.

Also works very well with thick cosmoline covered NOS parts. the grease will just run off.

Good luck, Michiel / NL

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Thanks Michiel

Try some cheap Cola type drink or orange extract!

email (option): roy.speake@yahoo.com

I use paraffin or the fluid for my parts washer/degreasing tank, though the latter should not be applied to rubber components so I wash it off fairly rapidly if that inadvertently happens (it's water soluble)...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I've got paraffin in my parts washer and that's what I use on the bike too. Removes thick oil and grease and doesn't rust if you leave it.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I use white spirit to clean greasy and dirty parts. White spirit dissolves, but leaves a thin oil coating, to prevent flash rust. Spray the part with some WD40 if you want to keep it unprotected for a longer period. I use cellulose thinner to clean a part before painting. This will dissolve completely, hence no protection against flash rust.

Jan

email (option): wd.register(at)gmail.com

I use a mixture of petrol (benzine) and diesel. Please don't ask me why I have a couple of jerry-cans of the stuff :grimacing:

I too use Petrol and Diesel mix :joy: , does a damn good job

email (option): davemb42@yahoo.com

Rik
I use a mixture of petrol (benzine) and diesel. Please don't ask me why I have a couple of jerry-cans of the stuff :grimacing:
I'm quite sure it wouldn't have been you Rik! Must have been the wife or daughter? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1