Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
spheerol semi fluid grease

Hi,

On another forum there was a topic about leaking g/boxes. They suggest spheerol.
What is the opinion of this forum ?

cheers
John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Re: spheerol semi fluid grease

Some bikes have a gearbox designed to run with a semi fluid grease...BSA recommended engine oil for their wartime and later boxes...SAE40 or SAE 50 is suitable...The BSA box has a number of small drillings that allow the lubricant to reach various components and these are unsuited to allow the passage of a grease...The implications of lubrication shortages are obvious..Further, the oil serves to cool as well as lubricate the gearbox bearings...

IMO therefore, I would not advise going down that route with the BSA...Fitting a sealed main bearing with the inner seal removed cures the excessive leakage of lubricant from the box but that is plainly a job best done when the box is apart for remedial work. With the standard set up it's really a case of putting up with the leaks and checking the gearbox oil level at no more than 300-350 mile intervals, topping up as required...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian.

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Heed the warning.
I put 000 grease in my box following the advice of a friend who had a dozen or more bikes & had grease in all of them.
Worked fine for him cause he would be flat out putting 100miles/year on any bike.
On mine where I was putting 30,000+ a year, totally destroyed it in less than 2 years.
Almost nothing was recoverable

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

I have a photo copy of the manual provided to Australian Military Forces and gearbox oil recommended is GO-90. What the GO stands for I don't know but I am using the modern gear oil 80W-90. Maybe due to the hotter climate in Australia the heavier oil was recommended. 80W-90 pours quite easily so I would think in hotter climates it would be okay and should get into the oilways okay.

email (option): tknalder@iinet.net.au

Gear oils are measured on a different scale to engine oils and a very rough & ready comparison is divide by 2 so a 90 gear oil is a 45 engine oil

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1