Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
White smoke b33

Hi all...I have put together two wm20’s and one m21. So I wanted to try build a m33. I completely rebuilt a b33 engine. It’s started up great, however it’s blowing lots of white smoke and oil out the exhaust pipe. I checked the sump and there is only a small amount of oil draining out. I did put some two stroke oil in the fuel, only a couple of cap fulls, not enough to create all the white smoke and oil. The decompression level is not working, I must have set it up the wrong way, but if the exhaust valve was partly opened the bike wouldn’t run. I was thinking perhaps just keep tuning it and see if the smoke clears, but I’m worried I might damage the engine. Can a wise head please give me some suggestions to fix this issue?

Re: White smoke b33

Its not unusual for a newly built engine to smoke for a while as it burns off the oil used in assembly. So don't panic.
Let it run for a while or better still take it for a short gentle run. If it still smokes check piston rings and valve guides first.

Check that you have fitted the feed and return oil banjo bolts in the correct position...The bolts for the feed pipe have smaller diameter cross drillings in them than the ones in the head to crankcase oil return pipe...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks for the replies. I knew about the small hole for the rockets and big holes for the oil return. It looks like the white smoke is combination of two stroke oil and a new engine start up. I thought I’d mix some two stroke in the fuel to act as lubricant in the new engine, however a mechanic friend says if I run that fuel I will end up glazing the cylinder walls. So no more two stroke, no more white smoke. Another spoke tells me that I should just run plain unleaded fuel with no additives, as addictive increase build up on the valves. What fuel do you run in your bikes?

I don't run any additives in my B33 and never have...Just the standard issue lead free petrol...The octane rating of pump petrol is OK for normal compression ratios (at least here in the UK) and valve seat recession isn't a problem with the B33 engine either in my experience...
You will find the B33 to be a very cool running engine and that may be a factor...My engine is currently a standard unit but I've run it in 600cc and 720cc capacities and with a compression ratio of up to 8.5-1, all on standard pump petrol....Ian

40 years of ownership this year!....Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1