Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
silencer

Hi,

Some time ago I bought a new silencer. Because I did not like the sound (too Loud) I took a close inspection and could see right through it. Is that normal. Now I have a DB killer put in at the rear
cheers
John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

Re: silencer

There is two types of silencer. The one that you have gets it silencing through the use of the sound absorption material that is behind the perforated tube that you can see if you look into the silencer. The other type uses a system of baffles that bounces the gases around to cut the noise down.

Thanks Ian,

I have the one with a perforated tube inside, . So I need the other one . There should be a different production number ?

John

email (option): john.kater@chello.nl

I would think that you will need to ask the seller whether it had baffles or straight through. My B33 has a straight through silencer but my M33 has a baffled one which is quieter then the straight through. The one on my M33 is actually off an M20 with a sleeve to reduce the size, so they must be available.

WDM20 silencers (in stainless), with the original baffle pattern, are available from Armour Motor Products in the UK...I have one to go on my M20 at some point but haven't tried it yet so can't vouch for the level or quality of the sound...

I know others from the forum have them so I'm sure comments will be forthcoming....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nothing quite so pleasurable as being in a m/c group negotiating the gorge-like main street of a Normandy village with the sound of multiple (and variably silenced) singles bouncing off the house walls. The locals must just LOVE this! Non?!

The Armour's 'tipped up' silencer is copied from my original which I cut open so that they could copy the baffles exactly. However they won't give exactly the same note as an original because they are made from stainless steel, which I'm told will resonate differently to mild steel. A small price to pay I'd say to have one that will last for years without rusting.

Here's mine, grit blasted and fitted and I'm happy with the sound it makes.

Mention my name if you want and they'll know what you need. They now also sell a front pipe that fits since I loaned them a decent one. Ron
M20-517
M20-528
M20-539

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron, is that the knackered old silencer I passed to you some years ago now....? If so, great to see it's been put to good use....!

Oh yes Ron!

Quite the different sound from a stainless silencer/exhaust. Stainless sounds much harder, colder and sharper with more treble. A more “metallic” sound if you like. Mild steel gives you a much warmer nicer sound with more bottom end (or if you like; bass).

I know this from having spent years sharing work shop with custom builders. Common knowledge among this here crowd.

/simon

There is no reason metallurgically for this.
However I might suggest that the stainless mufflers were made from thinner gauge steel.
I noticed this down here that most stainless pipes were only about 2/3 the thickness of mild steel.
I put this down to cost cutting as stainless is 4 times the price per kilogram of plain steel.
As you know it is also a lot harder to work, so using thinner material is kinder to formers & mandrels.

Yamaha fitted stainless steel exhausts to the SR 500 / 400 models and plain steel to the XT 's.
The latter are a lot louder than the former which is so quiet you can hear the chain running on the sprockets.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

I think you may be right there Trevor.

/simon

I have the Armours stainless silencer, vapour blasted. During my recent long trip I noticed my pal, who was following me always fell behind on inclines. As he was on a Norton 750 twin it clearly wasn't a power issue. He explianed that on the flat the M20 had a nice blatting note but that when I held the throttle open to get up longer inclines he had to drop back for the sake of his hearing! :slightly_smiling_face:

Dean
I have the Armours stainless silencer, vapour blasted. During my recent long trip I noticed my pal, who was following me always fell behind on inclines. As he was on a Norton 750 twin it clearly wasn't a power issue. He explianed that on the flat the M20 had a nice blatting note but that when I held the throttle open to get up longer inclines he had to drop back for the sake of his hearing! :slightly_smiling_face:
I think he's just making up excuses for not being able to keep up with the mighty M20! :grinning:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Nieuwe pagina 1