Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Picture with 'Magdrop"

This is a fascinating picture, labelled "Magdrop VanRosin". I take it these are the names of the two men in the foreground.

'Magdrop' is a technical term used for aero engines, and so I think that's the nickname of the gentleman in the US Air Force flight jacket and cap. The person standing way back, between the two figures on the bike, is wearing the same sort of gear. The background is interesting, though, as it seems to be the wreckage of a plane, a fighter to judge by the fragment of tail being manhandled by the gent in shirtsleeves. If that is a tailplane, then the lighter stripe vertically, that can just be seen, might be part of the Italian Air Force identification marking (Reggio Aeronautica) which had just such a white cross to it. Van Rosin seems to be an officer, perhaps British army.

The WM20 has knee grips suggesting it's early war, and seems to be painted in pale desert colors.

So -- if there's s story behind this picture (as there so often is) then these two gentlemen have ridden out to take a look at a wreck airplane. I wonder if they helped shoot it down? I wonder what the whole story is?

Best wishes,

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Re: Picture with 'Magdrop"

The website caption is a little confusing....Was his name 'Maggart' and 'Magdrop' the nickname ? Not ideal on a motorcycle with only one magneto :-)

https://www.ww2online.org/image/united-states-servicemen-maggart-and-van-rosin-motorcycle-location-unknown-1942-45

Re: Picture with 'Magdrop"

Thanks so much for all this good information, Rik. I've been slow to reply and say thank you because for some odd reason the page wouldn't let me post a reply - and that was true of all the other pages I tried also. This happened once before. No idea why. After I re-loaded everything on my computer it seems to be back to normal.

The mysteries of electronics!

All best wishes,

Allan

email (option): allanmatchless@yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1