WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM21 on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bsa-wm21-/283444003455

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Re: WM21 on Ebay

I have a question abouth this oil tank wath year they used tis type oil tank ? I wil put it on my 1939 M21.

email (option): oldbikes@kpnmail.nl

I am no expert in military machines by a long run, however a valanced front guard with skirt & rubber mounted handlebars were only fitted to the De-Luxe versions , one of the things that distinguished them from the standard version.
Thus I would lean towards this being an impressed bike rather than a military contract one.

email (option): bsansw1@tpg.com.au

It was supplied like that to the Dutch army in 1940. Panel in tank, valanced guards etc. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I gather you must know the bike as the ebay add listed neither engine nor frame number

It looks like it has the Dutch plate on the toolbox, is this the one that belonged to Andy up for sale again?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

trevor
I gather you must know the bike as the ebay add listed neither engine nor frame number
I don't know the bike but I think it was Andy's. The ebay listing clearly showed the documentation complete with dating letter from Henk. Ron
s-l1600

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Yes saw the literature but it was too small to read.
I have no idea how Henk dose the certificate but down here they get done sight unseen by checking engine & frame numbers.
Thus incorrect fittings like deluxe mudguards and rubber mounted handlebars do not get considered.
As I mentioned I do not consider myself any sort of authority on military motorcycles.
The only parts information I have at hand for WM20's show the butterfly oil & fuel cap , standard mudguards ( no splash shield ) and plain handlebar mounts.
Thus if this was original fittment s I have just learned something new which is always worth doing.

Here a photo of a typical pre-war Dutch Army BSA. For some reason the Dutch army kept ordering the 1937 model as in this photo.

Henk

Dutch-BSA

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

BSA-M21-NIOD-3

Having ridden a 36 with rubber mounted handle bars 600 miles an still being able to undo my zipper in the mens room as comparred to numb hands after about 300 miles on my 43 I can understand the specifing of the deluxe handlebars.

Thanks for sharing.

I am here to learn.

['For some reason the Dutch army kept ordering the 1937 model as in this photo...']

They also kept ordering cavalry boots with spurs when they didn't have horses!:laughing: ....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Can the rider cause an M21 to travel faster by skilled use of the spur ?

It's interesting that Henk refers to the Dutch machines retaining 1937 specification. Does this mean that the Dutch contract bikes never received the large fuel tank and always retained the hand gear change, as per this (most likely) non-delivered Dutch bike included under C7370 and that the restorer got this detail wrong if he was intending to show 'as delivered' spec ?

IMG-3465-2

I guess that between 1937 and 1939, the Dutch army did not order that many machines so understandable they retained the original specification. It might have been too much work to change the contract...

On another note, my April 1941 WM20 has rubber mounted handlebars. I think there is a bit of wear there as there is a fair amount of play. Does anyone have a parts diagram?

Here a better photo of that BSA.

Henk

C4192169-former-Dutch-Army

That WM21 finally sold on ebay yesterday.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283636421186

email (option): wdmotorcycles@gmail.com

trevor
Yes saw the literature but it was too small to read.
I have no idea how Henk dose the certificate but down here they get done sight unseen by checking engine & frame numbers.
Thus incorrect fittings like deluxe mudguards and rubber mounted handlebars do not get considered.
As I mentioned I do not consider myself any sort of authority on military motorcycles.
The only parts information I have at hand for WM20's show the butterfly oil & fuel cap , standard mudguards ( no splash shield ) and plain handlebar mounts.
Thus if this was original fittment s I have just learned something new which is always worth doing.
The dating certificate is only valid for a year, so if it was issued above twelve months ago, it can be deemed to be useless.

Just my 2p worth

Regards TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

These dutch m21s were actually 39 models with 38 tank and gearbox, plus some extras. Was it because that they had many BMW R12 bikes in the dutch army, they wanted hand change? Just a theory.

Nieuwe pagina 1