Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
External oil filter

Hi just wondering if anyone has fitted a external oil filter like the morgo one to a m20. Would like too fit one but not sure about oil pressure.
Thanks in advance
Jim

email (option): Coopsjames30@gmail.com

Re: External oil filter

There is hardly any oil pressure on an M20. This is normal and due to the design (roller big end). So I don't think its feasible at all. Nor is it desirable with our monograde non detergent oils.

The BSA oil pump is entirely capable of generating higher pressures...It just doesn't on the feed side as it has an open roller big end....If you want to fit a filter you must therefore fit it on the return to the oil tank...Not the feed side....

Personally I don't use a filter and rely on regular oil changes to keep everything clean. However, I started with an internally spotless engine after a full rebuild.
If you have an engine that hasn't been apart for a while(and thus cleaned internally) and is an unknown quantity it might be worth it...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I'm trying to learn more about these engines so please bear with me if (when) I say or ask something really stupid...

A WM20 oil pump is a gear pump. Is that positive displacement? If yes, increasing resistance on the intake side should not alter the oil flow rate? It has to go right? - just increases the amount of energy needed? I'm comparing it to positive displacement agricultural pumps. Increasing the suction height is not desirable but can be done at the expense of the additional power used. I don't know if the same principle translates to oil pumps on motorcycles.

So as long as the pump is primed I would have thought it would not make a difference. Somewhat of a rhetorical question because it still does not make sense to put the filter on the between the oil tank and the pump due to priming issues when the filter is replaced?

I know there are some very knowledgeable people out there that have spent their entire life working in this field and I'm hoping they will chime in and help me learn.

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

Thanks for the reply was also thinking about runing cheap oil through it till it runs clean.
Cause the oil is black and also has fine metal in it after running for about 1 kilometer.

Jim,
Best thing you can do is take the oil tank off and wash it out and clean it properly. Also remove the sump plate and clean that, if you have large metal particles in the brass filter plate in the sump then you have an engine problem. The oil tank if it has not been cleaned out for years, then you could have a large about of hard sludge in the bottom of the tank. I have worked on some tanks with near 1/2" of hard metallic sludge in the bottom of the tank, the only way i could shift this was to fill the tank with thinners and leave it a few days. Once removed blow clean with an air line. Doing this you know you have a clean engine and a good start.

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

I made my own filter from this inline fuel filter, which has 5/16" barbs at either end. It comes with a very very fine brass mesh basket inside, which i removed as it was too fine to allow 50W oil to pass through at any speed other than glacial. I procured some coarse stainless steel mesh sheet, which i trimmed down to a small circle and pressed that in to a blind hole to form a basket shape, that's my course filter, and in that i put a small rare-earth magnet. It's fitted to the return oil line, and catches any steel, or large bits of metal, but will not get any small particles of non magnetic material, so regular oil changes are a must. I also have a magnet in the engine sump plug. -Nick

There is already a large filter on the return side inside the tank, although I removed mine years ago and just change the oil every 1000 miles or each year which ever comes first. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for the help cleaned the tank it was bad so just regular oil changes will be fine.

Nieuwe pagina 1